This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, January 2, 2023

Week Eight Weigh In

Well, let's just say that I'm glad I didn't move up to 0.5mg after week 4, because even with just the 0.39mg dose, the side effects came out in force. So far I hadn't really had much of anything, and I was surprised when I saw people talking about inability to eat a food anymore. Then we had cheese for New Year's Eve and I was even fine with most of those. Then I had one bite of a cranberry Wensleydale, and as soon as I put it in my mouth I thought I was going to be sick and my stomach started roiling. It took more than an hour for it to really settle down, which was decidedly unpleasant. Fortunately, I think I can live my life without such a specific thing, but now I have renewed sympathy for the people who have favourite foods they can no longer eat.

Also, between the heavier load of exercising I'm doing (seriously, working out with a friend helps so much!!! Even if you have to do it over a Facetime call in different places!) and the constipation that has been leaving me bloated and uncomfortable, I'm not surprised with the gain on the scale this week, although I am disappointed. I expect a small gain or no loss when I start working out more intensely, because of muscle retaining water; that's normal for me, and it's something I revisited as part of my workout plan so that I would know not to let it derail me even if it slowed my weight loss because at some point it will catch up.

My stomach is super uncomfortable though, and if I'm backed up as far as it looks like, that makes a lot of sense! But it's not fun to see it showing on the scale and I'm looking forward to remedying it! Hopefully going to get a mild laxative tea and that might solve the problem.

I'm also going to "go back" to 0.25mg, although I never formally went up because I only used that last bonus bit in the pen. I don't think I am ready for 0.5mg with the increased side effects when 0.25mg was working just fine.

So, did I overeat over the holidays? Yes, but not as much as I would have done. I felt like I was pigging out, but when I measured what I was eating? Still much smaller servings of the richer food. Did I overeat enough to gain 4.4lbs of fat? No. Not even close.

While it hurt to write this post, I was reminded I should put it out there for other people who find themselves in the same situation. Don't give up exercising just because it slows down your progress short term; exercise is so good for your body! And muscle burns more calories than fat, so even if it causes a slowdown or temporary gain, it will pay off later. Just because you gain, doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. Slow and steady, keep going!

And yup, bowel movements weigh a lot. Having a drug slow down your digestion might leave you feeling backed up at times!

Don't give up!!! I have no plans to this time.




Start Date: November 7, 2022  0.25mg
OZ Week 1 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 2 loss: 2.2 lbs
OZ Week 3 gain: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 4 loss: 4.4lbs
OZ Week 5 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 6 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 7: skipped weigh in  0.39mg (used "bonus bit" in the pen)
OZ Week 8 gain: 4.4lbs

Total loss on Ozempic so far: 7.4lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment