This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, January 30, 2023

Week 12 Weigh In!

Well, it's been a pretty good week! Lots of playing with new recipes- I'll try to share some more when I have a moment to write them up.

I have noticed I'm a little hungrier than usual lately, and thinking of food a bit more, but still not eating big portions. I'm also still incorporating treats into my meal planning, both versions that I've made healthier, and the good old fashioned kind with sugar. If it's affecting my weight loss, I'm totally fine with the rate I'm losing at. I'm well within the 1-2lbs a week of healthy weight loss, and since I started exercising intensely I've been blowing that rate away. In just four weeks, I've lost 13.4lbs! So while I've considered moving up my dose to 0.5mg, I think as long as I still do feel the appetite suppression and I'm still losing, I will stay at 0.25mg. I know we can develop tolerance to the drug and so I'd like to avoid that for as long as possible.

So this week I had a glass of wine with my orange miso shrimp and lobster tail dinner. It hit the spot perfectly, and the only side effect I noticed was maybe getting a little more buzzed than I would have done since I've been drinking less. I've also had the odd Lindor truffle, and some raw cookie dough from my favourite small business.

I read so many people talk about cheating on their diets. To me, that sounds like you're setting yourself up to fail. You can't stay on a diet forever, which means at some point you're going to come off it. If you go back to eating the way you did before you started working on your health, you're going to get the same result you did last time and regain all your weight.

I look at my eating as finding a good balance. This isn't my first time down the weight loss road, but I'd like it to be the last. When I get to a healthy body weight, I want to maintain it. And that means not having any "cheat days". I'm not cheating on anything- just planning my indulgences in a healthier way than I did before. There's nothing wrong with having alcohol, or sweets, or salty snacks, or fried food on occasion. The problem is that very likely most of us weren't having them on occasion- we were having them regularly, and in large portions. We all have our reasons why we gained our weight. Why we were making choices that aren't good for our bodies? That's something we need to work on for ourselves so that we can make those positive changes and not repeat the same behaviour once we've gotten to a healthier weight, whether or not we stop using Ozempic or stay on a maintenance dose. Ozempic, by slowing down the food addiction reward centre in our brains, gives us the space to really look at our past choices and make better ones this time around, especially with the increased satiety.



Start Date: November 7, 2022  0.25mg
OZ Week 1 loss: 3.4lbs
OZ Week 2 loss: 2.2 lbs
OZ Week 3 gain: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 4 loss: 4.4lbs
OZ Week 5 loss: 1.4lbs
OZ Week 6 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 7: skipped weigh in  0.39mg (used "bonus bit" in the pen)
OZ Week 8 gain: 4.4lbs  back to 0.25mg (started exercising seriously)
OZ Week 9 loss: 6.6lbs
OZ Week 10 loss: 2.0lbs
OZ Week 11 loss: 2.4lbs
OZ Week 12 loss: 2.4lbs

Total loss on Ozempic so far: 20.8lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment