This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Date Night Flex Meals Continued

With the new Nutrisystem program only giving 20 of each meal per month now, they expect customers to start flexing much earlier than they did when I first started the program. Back in 2010-2011, you received 28 of each item which meant you didn't have to flex at all until you wanted to, since auto-delivery comes every four weeks (not once a month).

You can still choose not to flex, it just means ordering extra food a la carte or moving up your auto-delivery date so that you don't run out of food. Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to flex at the beginning of the program, before I really got a handle on how it was working and seeing the results. Plus, the whole idea to me of ordering Nutrisystem was to make weight loss convenient with as little thought as possible.

Although the program daily meal plans have changed since I started nearly a decade ago, the basic premise is still the same. I love the foods for convenience but I especially do a lot of dinner flexing because I like to eat with my family. Fortunately my son generally likes to eat healthy, so we can find delicious, low calorie meals the whole family can enjoy. It's nice to know that I'm giving him some good habits so that hopefully he will not be in the same place I am when he's an adult!

While this meal might not satisfy your kids, I suspect your spouse will love it whether or not they also are following the Nutrisystem program!

Pan-Roasted Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms (Flex Meal):


2 x 4oz chicken breasts
3 tbsp. low calorie Kraft Asian Sesame salad dressing
2 cups Shiitake mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce

Heat 1 tbsp. dressing on medium heat in a frying pan. Add chicken and turn to coat both sides evenly with dressing. Cook 3-4 min on each side or until it's evenly browned (chicken will NOT be done). Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.

Add 1 tbsp. dressing to the pan along with the mushrooms, and cook until they are golden brown. Add the garlic for the last minute and cook until fragrant. Add remaining dressing, broth, and soy sauce and heat on medium to allow the sauce to reduce. When it's thickened, return the chicken to the pan and cook until heated all the way through. Makes two servings.

Serve on top of your favourite SmartCarb! I had mine with 1/2 cup cooked Jasmine rice.

This counts as two Powerfuel servings, 2 veggie servings, and an extra for the sauce. Adding in your Smartcarb serving makes this a delicious flex dinner (or lunch + powerfuel).

Also consider that since there is no carb right in the entrée, you can use 1/2 chicken breast as a very filling Powerfuel serving (+ 1 veg + 1 extra) in your regular day. This dish is low calorie, delicious, and super versatile!

No comments:

Post a Comment