This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Seafood

One of my favourite proteins is seafood. It's lean, low calorie and fat, and just packed with protein. Plus, it's delicious and versatile and can be prepared so many ways. I've seen other people wonder why Nutrisystem doesn't have more seafood meals (other than the tuna salad, and tuna is the one seafood that I won't eat!). I'm assuming it's probably because of cost and logistics. You couldn't really do much in the shelf stable items and even for the frozen meals, seafood is pretty expensive and would probably be more difficult to make margin on.

However, seafood is so easy to flex and make a delicious meal. As I've mentioned before, when I'm having one of the shelf stable lunches like the Broccoli & Cheddar Rice that feels more like a side dish, I like to put a piece of grilled salmon or the like on the side as a Powerfuel so it feels more like a "regular" meal.

While sometimes it's nice to make a meal that's quick and easy... sometimes it's nice to make a meal that's quick and easy, but also feels "fancy" and decadent. I think this flex dinner from Goodfood qualifies on both points. It's also low carb and dairy free!

Basque Style Bouillabaisse (Flex Dinner):



8 oz cod (or any other flaky white fish)
8 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
2 cups baby spinach leaves
2 8oz cans of low sodium crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
spice blend, to taste (pepper, garlic, salt substitute, red pepper, powdered vinegar, paprika, turmeric, and Cayenne)

In a medium pot, pour a little of the tomato juice (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan, and heat on medium high. Add the vegetables. Season with the spice blend to taste. Cook, stirring frequently. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the vegetables are fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and 2 cups of water to the vegetable mix. Place the raw fish fillets and shrimp into the bouillabaisse. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until fish is opaque and cooked through. Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.

Divide the fish and bouillabaisse between two bowls. Enjoy with your favourite SmartCarb serving (or since this is so filling, use it elsewhere in your day if you prefer!).

This soup counts as 2 Powerfuel servings plus vegetables (all are unlimited veggies). So if you add in your Smartcarb, call this a flex dinner and vegetables. Or reduce the amount of shrimp and fish, and you could have this as a lunch! Lots of flexibility.

It was quick, easy, and delicious!

1 comment: