This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, March 15, 2019

Variety is the Spice of Life

I've really been enjoying the frozen entrees! It's been a long time since I had them and it's been nice to switch it up a bit. I also find that the shelf stable items definitely require more "doctoring", whereas I can pretty much just heat and eat the frozen food with maybe just a little bit of spices and some vegetables.

I wouldn't give up the shelf stable food, though. I love that I can be so creative with them and make a boring dish into something awesome. It's fun. Kinda like cooking but you know that you're already dealing with a healthy calorie count and macros, plus it saves time!

Here's what I've been eating lately:

Cherry Cheese Roll (Frozen Breakfast):



OMG... well, this one definitely lives up to the hype! It does NOT taste like diet food. While I wish there were maybe some actual cherries in there instead of just the cherry taste (I'm considering adding a little sugarfree cherry pie filling to the plate next time, which would count as an extra), it was absolutely amazing. I could see myself ordering these even after I finish with the Nutrisystem program. When the a la carte sale is 50% off, these entrees are quite reasonably priced, especially if you get free shipping and also get the deal by purchasing Costco gift cards for Nutrisystem. Right now they are on sale, $55 gets you a $100 gift card. So that's another 45% savings on top of it!

Macaroni & Cheese (Frozen Dinner):



I used to love the dinner shelf stable orange macaroni and cheese. It tasted just like the Kraft dinner cups. It's a shame it's been discontinued but I guess I see the point that now there is a lunch macaroni, even if it's white cheese, and the frozen dinner ones, that there's saturation in the macaroni market!

I do like that there's lots of sauce, so when I poured it over my broccoli there was enough to go around. I did find the sauce a bit bland, and I think next time I'll add black pepper and garlic and maybe a little hot sauce to give it a bit of a kick.

One of my favourite meals used to be ham with a side of cheese scalloped potatoes, and this was definitely a reasonable substitute for that. I saved a PF from my afternoon snack to add a slice of ham to my dinner. Fortunately, hams are nice lean proteins that are low in fat, so you can have a reasonably sized serving for your 80-120 calories! I had 4oz with my dinner and it was delicious with a little honey mustard squirted on top (extra).

No comments:

Post a Comment