This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Reality Check

I was reading a book on a different subject, and one of the motivational tools it said to consider when you want to make a change in your life is to Find Your Why. I can't help but seeing how useful this is to all of us who are struggling with losing weight, or making any other lifestyle change like quitting smoking or starting to exercise.

Why do you want to do this? What is important enough about it to make you want to change? Changing your habits isn't easy, and we're all going to have those days where it seems easier to fall back into our old patterns. Are you stressed and exhausted? I bet that drive thru sounds really tempting. And these are the moments that don't even really bring us satisfaction when we have a treat- they're more likely to make you feel worse afterwards for giving in.

I don't think there is anything wrong with mindfully deciding to go off plan at times. We all have to live our lives and if you want this change to stick, you can't feel like you're being deprived of all your favourite things. So if it's your birthday and you want to have a slice of cake? If it's important to you, then make that decision and be okay with it. And enjoy every bite! Then go right back to what works for you.

But to overcome those little everyday cravings? You need to Find Your Why. Why do you want to lose weight? What is important enough to you to want to change the way you have been? Everyone will have their own personal reasons, and they have to be important enough to you to get you through those moments where it's really difficult. If you need to, write your Why down and post it somewhere prominent to remind yourself to stick to your decision. If you have trouble avoiding the drive thru? Stick a post it note in your car somewhere. If you're a late night snacker? Tape a sign to your fridge or cupboards. Whatever works for you to keep you focused!

There are lots of tips and tricks you can use to stay focused, like finding reasonable substitutes for your favourite foods, or keeping a food log either on NuMi or elsewhere (I like Lose It), but ultimately, the only one who can make the decision to keep with it is you. And it's not just making it once, it's a decision you will have to keep making each and every day. Old patterns never really go away, but we can replace them with new patterns, and it will get easier over time.

I restarted Nutrisystem because at my third bridesmaid dress fitting, my seamstress told me I'd gained too much weight to fit into my dress, and I knew I needed to lose a lot of weight quickly. But that's not why I'm back here. If it was, I would have stopped again after my best friend's wedding. Ultimately, I want to lose weight because I don't want to die. I am 36 years old and I have a 9 year old son. When I was 9 years old, my biological father died at 36. He was more than 100lbs overweight, like I was, and his body just couldn't cope with it. I don't want to leave my son without a mother. And when I think about it, I don't know too many old fat people- most of them die younger because it just puts so much extra work on our bodies. I have enough health strikes against me in terms of family history that I can't control- but I can choose to control my weight. So here I am.

I still plan on living my life, making mindful choices, and occasionally indulging in the things I love. I enjoy alcohol sometimes, and I have a serious weakness for cheese and charcuterie. I don't plan to cut these things out of my life, but rather to keep going forward with my weight loss plan and when there's a special occasion, to enjoy it fully. And then to keep going again.

So, what's your Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment