This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Healthy Dip Recipes

Yes, there is indeed such a thing! A reader sent me an email asking if I had any dip recipes that she could serve to her guests for her Super Bowl party that wouldn't be too far off plan, so I went looking for some yummy ones. Enjoy!

The quickest and easiest one I tried that I liked was simply stirring some Hidden Valley Ranch powder into FF sour cream. Depending how much powder you use, it has a nice kick and your guests will enjoy it- plus you can have it ready to serve in about 5 seconds! 2 tbsp is a free food.

My second one is a little more involved but definitely worth the effort- I got the idea from the Biggest Loser Cookbook and modified it slightly to up the protein count.


Skinny Spinach Dip:



1 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach (thawed overnight in fridge)
2/3 cup drained water chestnuts
3 green onions
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup FF sour cream
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp hot mustard
black pepper, to taste

Press the spinach into a strainer and use a spoon to squeeze as much water out as possible. Set aside. Pour the water chestnuts, green onions, and garlic into a food processor and blend. Add the spinach and pulse, and then the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and chill for at least one hour before serving.

This dip has a zesty kick because of the water chestnuts and if you serve it in a fancy bread bowl, your guests will have no idea that it's so low in calories and fat! Serve it with whatever you want- pumpernickel bread chunks, crackers, or just plain sliced veggies. The recipe makes 22 2-tbsp servings with 15 calories, 2g carbs, trace of fat, and 2g protein. So it's your choice how you want to use it- you can have 3 tbsp as a free food, or you can have 3/4 cup as a dairy/protein serving with 12g protein. Or you can do some combination- whatever works for you. The bottom line is that it tastes great and you can definitely find a way to work it into your program if you want a yummy dip!

I'm considering how it would taste as a sandwich spread with grilled chicken and maybe some melted mozzerella. Sounds like a yummy flex lunch idea!

3 comments:

  1. I would TOTALLY eat that on a sandwich with some chicken, and be the happiest girl in the wor.d

    Stopped by on a hop...come and visit me if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good -- I love spinach dip! I will give this a try and actually putting it on a sandwich sounds great -- not something I would have thought of on my own :-)

    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy collecting recipes for all around. I really enjoy your blog very much.

    If you are looking for more great recipes check out the link I provided.

    ~Enjoy Everyone

    ReplyDelete