This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, February 25, 2011

Hungry Days and Not-So-Hungry Days

For those of you just starting out on the program, you might look at my title and wonder how it's possible to have not-so-hungry days when you eyeball the portion sizes on Nutrisystem. I remember my first look at the Blueberry Muffin and sadly resigned myself to being hungry since I would normally have had one or two of them as a snack!

You will find that you adjust to the new serving sizes because your body really doesn't need anywhere near the amount of food that we tend to consume. But, of course, there will be some days you are hungrier than others. I tend to find that a hungry day means that my metabolism is speeding up and that I'm likelier to see a big drop on the scale that week. That helps keep me motivated to stick to my program and not go off plan just because I'm hungry. I use a free food like sugarfree Jello, or indulge in some unlimited veggies like cucumber slices or celery sticks and that really helps.

One of the big reasons that I think Nutrisystem is a superior program to Jenny Craig (besides the cost!) is that I can adjust my meals much more easily to suit myself on hungry days and not-so-hungry days. It's my choice what add-ins to use each meal, so I can choose something bulky if I'm hungry or something light if I don't really feel like eating.

For example, today I woke up hungry! For breakfast, I enjoyed this:



Blueberry pancakes with fresh blueberries baked in, a drizzle of sugarfree maple syrup, and a huge omelette made with Egg Beaters, diced ham, and green onions. It was a lot of food and incredibly filling! (Yes, my pancakes got a little overcooked while I was chopping the ham, but they still tasted great!) I also had a little extra bowl of blueberries to snack on since they didn't all fit in my pancake batter. Now, if I hadn't been hungry, I could have had a smaller breakfast that also fits perfectly into plan, like the Cinnamon Bun Bar with a glass of milk and 3 dried prunes. That would fulfill the same breakfast requirements but with a lot less bulk for the days I really don't feel like eating. I really love the flexibility in the program so that I can listen to my body's needs.

Playing with the add-ins is also where we can really get creative. I love that the lunch Cheesy Homestyle Potatoes can be everything from Cream of Potato Soup to Clam Chowder to Crab Cakes to Potato Salad. Even with only one entree, it can still be fun to decide what's for lunch! I don't see myself getting bored of the shelf stable food for a long time- and it's already been more than a year!

It's great to have choice- one of the things I love best about this program is not feeling like I have to eat grilled chicken and salad every day to lose weight. Instead, I can still eat food I love and "cook" as much or as little as I want. Win win (or as I see it- win lose)!

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't understand how anyone could be hungry on NS. I don't mean this as a criticism at all. I have nearly 100 pounds to lose and I love to eat, but I have not once been hungry since starting NS. It's a new way of life for me. I used to be constantly hungry even after eating. I think it's because of the glycemic index that NS uses. My body always registers a "regular rhythm" instead of jumping all over the place. I agree with you about having bulked-up days and lighter days depending on your mood. I like your example of the blueberry pancakes and the omelet and then the bar and prunes. All I can figure is if someone is hungry, they are not adding in everything they can. If you look at your wonderful recipes and see all the things you can do, there's no reason to every feel any suffering on NS. If you add in all the foods you can and go unlimited on the things that are allowed, it's impossible to be hungry. I don't even have to go crazy with the add-ins or unlimited foods because there's plenty just doing it lightly or in moderation. Sorry for the huge rant, but when I read on NS's Facebook wall about people being hungry, I just don't understand it. If anyone in this world would experience hunger, it would be me, and I haven't at all, not even once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, as a general rule I think you are right. I had a few really, really hungry days at the beginning of my program before I learned to work it for me. I just went to my usual go-to items (like say, string cheese, or yogurt that was too low in protein) for snacks that met the dairy/protein requirements, and then yes I was hungry because I needed more bulk. I hadn't gotten used to the idea of the appropriate things to substitute.

    It's OK to rant. I think sometimes people just need a little help adjusting to a new way of eating and that's why they complain.

    By the way, I remember you asked about bread. Have you tried GG Scandinavian Crispbread? It's more like large bran crackers than bread but if you make it into a sandwich and refrigerate it, it gets soft like bread. Only 12 calories per slice so you can use it as a free food and it's packed with fibre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the GG Scandinavian Crispbread recommendation. I'll look to see where I can buy it. I was asking for two reasons about bread. For the hamburger and hot dog on NS and then for the future when I'm no longer on NS. I want to create good habits for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great plan! I'm just not sure how I would fit low carb, low fat bread into program unless it's as a free food. I never really thought about baking my own for that reason.

    I'd just stick to low GI, whole grain choices when you're maintaining as much as possible. I do miss a good French or Italian baguette though!

    For the hamburger and hot dog, I hear that the thin buns that are 100 calories are a good choice. We don't have them here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete