This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Soup: Not Just For Winter!

I adore creamy soups. Unfortunately, it's tough to get creamy soups that are delicious but not hard on the waistline! This recipe is wonderful, and if it wasn't such a pain to shell the crab, I would make it much more often!

I got the idea when I was at the grocery store buying some fish, and I saw in the fresh seafood area that they had live Dungeness crabs. I've read a lot about them but never actually tried one, so I decided to give it a shot. I must admit though, it was quite a fight! So, if you have kids or a spouse who are willing to shell it for you- bonus!

A friend of mine gave me the idea to make it into a bisque when I said I was having trouble figuring out what to do with it, and the result was delicious.

Flex Meals (Dinner):



Creamy Crab Bisque:

1 Dungeness crab, shell removed (about 4-5oz of meat)
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
3/4 cup FF half & half
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp chopped onion
1 tbsp chopped green onion
2 tsp butter
pepper, Old Bay to taste

Fry your onion in the butter until it starts to caramelize, and add the flour to form a paste. Pour in the broth and half & half and stir, simmer for about 5 minutes. Add in the crabmeat and spices, and simmer to allow the flavours to blend. Serve with the green onions as a garnish, and a carb serving of your choice.

I counted this as dinner + dairy/protein + dinner fat serving and it was so good and a huge portion so I am stuffed. Before adding the carb, this came to 323 calories, 25g of carbs, 7g fat, and 38g protein. This puts it at the high end for a dinner but still within the range since it includes the dairy/protein and fat.

It might be makeable with canned crab meat (and a lot cheaper!) but it was SO good with the real thing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan! Saw you as an entrant on Canadian Coupon Mom's contest and recognized your name. I believe you are friends with Kim M and are (were?) on LiveJournal? I was on there a few years back as well (Kristy A) but now have my own blog - http://manager-to-mom.blogspot.com

    I've been reading through your blog and the recipes look great! You look terrific as well. Congrats on the weight loss and commitment to becoming healthier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore creamy soups, too!

    i am now GFC following you from Bassirafe's hop.
    hope you can stop by my blog, nice to meet you and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY FAVORITE SOUP!!!! yummmm. new follower from the blog hop and I am so Lucky because right now I am meal planning and making my grocery list so THANK YOU for the awesome recipes...my family will be so happy to have new meals!
    jenny at dapperhouse
    http://jennyatdapperhouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete