This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fish 'n Chips

I always used to love going to fish and chip shops and getting big pieces of halibut, battered and deep fried, smothered with tartar sauce. Don't forget the giant order of French fries to go with it! I shudder when I think now at how many calories and grams of fat I was eating.

But yes, it's still possible to enjoy breaded fish and "fries" and stay on your weight loss plan- I definitely suggest you give this recipe a try!


Flex Meals (Dinner):



Breaded Fish & Chips:

4oz halibut (or other white, flaky fish)
1 slice stale whole wheat bread, processed into breadcrumbs
Egg Beaters
black pepper, garlic, Italian spice blend to taste
1 tsp olive oil
serving of Cajun Fries (minus chili powder)

Turn a frying pan on medium heat and warm the oil. Dip the fish in the Egg Beaters and then into the breadcrumbs. Repeat until the breadcrumbs are stuck to the fish. Fry the fish in the oil in a covered pan for about 8 minutes, or until fish is white throughout. Enjoy! Counts as your complete dinner with the fries.

My next thought was to find a way to enjoy some tartar sauce with my fish. I love the stuff, but it's deadly! One tablespoon generally has about 75 calories and 8g of fat, and it's just not worth it. However, I found a great recipe to make my own from Taste of Home and it was a pretty good substitute- not quite as rich but the same flavour.

Tartar Sauce:

* 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
* 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
* 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained
* 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
* 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 2 drops hot pepper sauce

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
One tablespoon contains 9 calories, 43 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 2 gm carbohydrate, trace protein, trace fat. So you can enjoy 2 tbsp with your fish and count it as a free food!

2 comments:

  1. Susie, this recipe reminds me to ask you to never-ever remove this blog! I want to be able to refer to it forever.

    ReplyDelete