This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Food Ruts

One complaint I hear often on the Nutrisystem Facebook group is that people are getting bored of the food. I have felt this myself in the past, and then I realized that the issue was mostly of my own making. I at least tend to order the same three or four items I really like, and yes, at that point it is indeed very easy to get bored after a while!

Routine makes things easy. If you like Greek yogurt as a Powerfuel, for example, it's really easy to have the same one each day and not change it up. But routine can also make things boring.

I did a count, though, and with the exception of breakfast (there are only 29, but that's still really close), you could have a different item each day for a month without repeating. And once you start changing up your add ins and vegetables, your meals don't have to be the same.

Maybe you want to do a little more flexing. Try a new recipe that you haven't tried before! Add some unique spices. Pick up that vegetable you normally walk by at the grocery store and see if a new method of preparation can make it more interesting, or if maybe your taste buds have changed since the last time you ate it. Maybe your shelf stable items need a little doctoring up to taste like a totally new meal!

Nutrisystem isn't meant to be all you eat for a lifetime, but it IS meant to help you form those healthy habits about what a portion is, and the building blocks of a nourishing meal. The plan just helps us with convenience in our busy lives, and to ease the pressure of trying to find healthy meals quickly. Well, that, and where else would I find a cinnamon roll that's so delicious and actually good for me?

Getting stuck in food ruts is also one of the things that leads to plateaus. Not only will it keep you feeling more positive about the program if you feel like you're not bored and still interested in the meals, but it will make it easier on your body to drop those pounds!

So tomorrow, try something new. Make a flex meal you might not have considered, or order a Nutrisystem entrée that you aren't sure will hit your palate. Remember that our tastes all differ and the entrees you hate will be someone else's favourite, and vice versa! See if you can shake up your routine a little bit, and shake some more pounds loose!

No comments:

Post a Comment