This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, April 1, 2019

Off Plan & Back On

I wound up taking the weekend off from Nutrisystem this past week. I was incredibly sick on Saturday and dying for comfort food, so I decided to have it. To me, sandwiches on big soft buns have always symbolized comfort food and at some point there's just no way to make that work. A big sub bun is somewhere around 3 SC servings.

I also had a wonderful meal with my family yesterday that I decided to enjoy as it, because I certainly wasn't going to get another chance at this again! We had a homemade flammkuchen and it was amazing. I'd never had one before and wanted to try it. But of course it was loaded with carbs and fat and calories. I did not fall off the wagon- I made the mindful choice to get off plan, and then get right back on today.

Much to my surprise, I was still down 0.8lbs this week. I'm sure that means I had been heading for a big loss before the weekend, so time to get on track and post that number next week!

I've been trying some more of the frozen meals lately and I've really been enjoying them. Here are some more pics and reviews.

Grilled Chicken Sandwich (Frozen Lunch):



Nutrisystem used to have a shelf stable grilled chicken breast that was just awful, so I was a little skeptical about this one. It got great reviews on the Nutrisystem Facebook page though, so I decided to give it a try with an open mind.

Like the frozen hamburger, it's pathetically small. I will admit that when I used to BBQ at home, I always had two burgers plus side items. Two normal sized burgers, not two slider sized ones like this! So I definitely had my doubts if it was going to be satisfying. That is a full size dinner plate, for reference.

Much to my surprise, the chicken tasted good and flavourful. I put diced red onion on the bun and a little dab of FF mayonnaise, squirt of lemon, and basil, and a slice of low fat Havarti cheese for my PF. Salad on the side with light lemon Italian dressing (free food).

I have seen people on the boards say they like to make this into a salad by chopping up the chicken and toasting the bun to make croutons. Honestly, while I like the idea, I think this one is much easier (and cheaper!) to flex rather than use a NS entrée like that. But if it works for you, then more power to you!

So far I have tried this both with a toasted bun on the BBQ, and just microwaving it as the package suggests. Oddly enough, since I have never liked bread products in the microwave, I do actually like it better microwaved. I find the bun tastes really dense in the microwave and since it feels "heavier" I'm more satisfied by it. It was light and crispy on the BBQ and just didn't taste quite as good to me. I definitely suggest trying it yourself both ways to see what you prefer!

Meatloaf Sandwich (Frozen Dinner):



People have posted that this tastes just like the lunch hamburger, except bigger. I decided to make this one by sauteeing mushrooms and onions in 1 tsp olive oil (extra) and topping with a slice of FF Swiss cheese (powerfuel).

It just didn't quite taste right. I am not sure if it's because I used oil instead of butter for the veggies and I will consider trying that next time. I think maybe 1 tbsp. of low calorie BBQ sauce might kick it up a little bit too (extra).

I will say that it was filling and satisfying, but it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I made myself sweet potato fries with it in the air fryer (SmartCarb serving saved from snack).

No comments:

Post a Comment