This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

More Thoughts on Exercise

Now more than ever, I am wholly convinced that exercise has to be part of a healthy lifestyle and that it is integral to maintaining a successful weight loss. I remember reading somewhere that among people who lost a significant amount of weight, the ones who were less likely to regain it were the ones who made exercise part of their lives.

I'm still struggling, and I believe that part of it is because I have been unable to exercise. When I was sick I couldn't go to the gym, and then my son got sick so I wouldn't have been allowed to take him to the daycare there anyway even if I'd been so inclined. I can't exercise while he's awake (going for walks really doesn't count- I want to get a good workout in!) and there is absolutely no way I'm getting up before him to exercise- I need my sleep! Unfortunately I have a lousy napper so there's no time during the day for me, either. I thought about it and I realized I started getting derailed when I couldn't work out. It's not even about the calories I was burning or the muscles I was toning (as great as those things are!)- it's how it makes me feel.

Exercise makes my body feel good, and emotionally I always feel more positive. It always gives me a sense of accomplishment and that good tired feeling, instead of the "bad tired" that makes us lazy and not want to do things. I really need to find a way to get back into it, because I refuse to allow myself to throw away all my progress. I will not go back to being that fat girl.

I'm thinking of buying a bicycle and a trailer so that I can go riding with my son this summer. That sounds like something that we could do together and I could at least get some cardio in, if nothing else. But I am going to find a solution to this problem! I miss that happy positive feeling I had about my life and I'm the only one who can bring it back.

So it's time to stop what I'm doing and give myself a kick in the behind to get moving again! If you're not exercising yet, there's no time like the present to get started!

3 comments:

  1. Biking is excellent exercise, Susan! It has really helped me in my own weight loss journey. I really am not a fan of running, since I'm not fast enough no matter how hard I train. But with biking, I get good by the end of the summer. Biking is my staple exercise during the warm months of the year, and it's incredible. I think you should go for it! I think Matthew would find it fun to sit in the trailer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe find someone (neighbor or a teenager) to watch your child for a little while so you can spend time at gym or get a wii and do a workout at home. (or dvd's - whatever it takes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anon 10:47- That would be a great idea except that my son has very bad separation anxiety, which is why the gym daycare doesn't work. The only people he is really comfortable being left with are my family who live about an hour away.

    Hopefully as he gets older it will be easier to find a way to work out!

    ReplyDelete