This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Maple Syrup Festival

Today was the 47th annual Maple Syrup Festival in my area and I thought my son would enjoy it so we decided to go. The weather was nice so of course the place was jam packed- I was very glad that I'd brought my baby carrier because I could never have managed navigating through all the people with a stroller!



Everywhere I looked, stalls were selling unhealthy food. And I don't just mean a little bad- I mean food with astronomical calorie counts. If it could be deep fried, it was. And of course, most things were drowned in maple syrup too. I used to love the Mennonnite apple fritters served in maple syrup... deep fried sugared and battered apple slices. Yum? I was really proud of myself that I didn't order a single thing from the festival food stalls- not even the pancakes that the event is famous for. At lunchtime, when my family ordered burgers from a stall, I went into a Subway that was near the festival area and ordered a turkey sub on whole wheat. The place was deserted, which I guess wasn't too big a surprise.

I had told myself in advance that if I wanted one treat, I could have it (as long as I had a healthy breakfast and lunch first). This festival only comes once a year. While we were there, I decided not to. I just didn't want it badly enough that it would make up for the disappointment when I weigh myself tomorrow. I'm already disappointed enough that I fell off plan on Tuesday without making things worse.

So I consider today a victory- I went out and enjoyed myself and I didn't need to eat any of that junk food. It really is possible to go out to fun events like that without going nuts, and without even really missing it. I made myself apple crisp for dessert tonight (added a little sugarfree syrup in with the apples) and I think I enjoyed it as much if not more as I would have liked those apple fritters.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for being aware of what you really wanted vs caving in to a treat because it was a special circumstance! You look great in your photo & your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...new follower from the Thursday Hop. Congrats on being the featured blog :-). It must be really cool for you to see the changes since the day you started on Nutrisystem! What a cool way for you to inspire others. Stop by www.fingerclicksaver.com when you can. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an insipration! We are your neest followers from
    www.polishedgirlz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! That takes real will power!

    I'm following from Blog Hop Thursday. Congrats on being featured!

    ~Jodi
    www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school!

    ReplyDelete