This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's not all sunshine and roses...

Well, I suppose I had to find something I didn't like eventually! Otherwise everyone would do Nutrisystem. But oh well, I just don't have to order it again. I'm hoping this blog will help show people exactly what they are getting so they have a better shot at picking foods they do like if they choose to order from Nutrisystem. At this point, I would definitely still recommend it.

Today for breakfast, I had a cranberry orange pastry that was pretty darn good. So far, all the baked goods have been scrumptious and for a carbohydrate addict like me, that's saying something.



For lunch, I chose the chicken salad. This was pretty good, although I like my chicken mayonnaise-y and that's the way this was served. It was heavy on sauce- I would have preferred a little more of the chicken and veggies. With a little black pepper though, it was enjoyable. I am not sure why Nutrisystem chose this type of package for it- it's in a plastic pouch so you pretty much have to squeeze it like a toothpaste tube to get out all the chicken salad. I would have thought a dish-type container like the lasagna tray would be better so you can actually get it all out.



For dinner, I decided to have a hamburger. Condiments are allowed on Nutrisystem in moderation, so I was picturing a nice juicy hamburger on a whole wheat bun (you provide your own) with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, and relish. Sounds good in theory, doesn't it?

The hamburger comes in a box containing a little plastic tray with something I can only describe as dessicated shoe leather in a circle. To "rehydrate" the patty, you pour boiling water on it until the tray is full and let it sit for 2 minutes. Well, OK. Maybe it would magically morph into a hamburger the way those little kids' foam toys turn from tiny little things into giant animals and monsters.

My hopes were dashed when I returned from making my cauliflower and saw a wet, dessicated shoe leather type object floating in the tray. I tried to pick it up with a fork to put on my bun and it fell apart. Not very appetizing. Fortunately, when you add enough stuff to it, all you really taste is bun and condiments, so I suppose it passes the edible test (I mean, I could EAT it, I just didn't WANT to) but this is not an entree that I will ever choose again. Unfortunately I have two more in my cabinet and I will be sure to take a picture next time for your viewing pleasure!

The saving grace to the meal was my cauliflower "mashed potatoes". I'm sure a lot of you have heard that mashed cauliflower can pass as a reasonable substitute and it wasn't bad at all. I steamed the cauliflower in my Starfrit silicone steamer and then put it in the food processor with a little milk and some garlic and pepper. It wasn't exactly potatoes, but it was pretty yummy and took care of my veggies for the meal (I get bored eating salad all the time).

For dessert, I asked Dan to choose something for me and he brought me a double chocolatey almond cookie. This didn't last long enough to have a picture taken of it! It's a yummy chocolate cookie with chocolate chips and almond bits. I love soft, chewy cookies and this was perfect.

I noticed that I was less hungry today, which was nice. I didn't even eat my extra carbohydrate serving that I am allowed at dinner since I have so much weight to lose. I didn't really want one and I was already comfortably within my range for calories, carbs, etc (I track on Sparkpeople to make sure I'm eating a balanced diet and am adding the right things when I have choices) I chose not to eat it. Hopefully my body is beginning to adjust to eating less and more often.

3 comments:

  1. That burger sounds positively horrible! Dessicated shoe leather...mmm...*lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay so I think I will rethink the burger for dinner. lol Cause I finally found something I did not like and could not eat. Which was the chicken salad. I am not sure why but I could not stomach it. But the way your dish looks I should have tried it like that with veggies instead. I am enjoying your blog. I just started one. I need to do like you talk about the food. Thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlene, welcome to my blog! Glad you are enjoying it.

    Have you tried chilling the chicken salad before you eat it? Remember it also comes with a carb serving too. Lately I have enjoyed eating it on a pita or tortilla with lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, and a little extra chicken for my protein serving.

    I was actually planning on making a post about the chicken salad soon because I feel it's such a great blank palette. Just about however you like your chicken salad, you can make it. If you like nuts and cranberries or apples, go ahead and mix them in (just remember to count it). Try it a few different ways before you give up!

    ReplyDelete