This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, February 6, 2010

So far, so good...

I can't wait to see the results on the scale this week. It's always exciting the first week of a weight loss program, especially when it's going well.

I'm starting to run out of new breakfasts to try, since I picked lots of the things I figured I would like. I had the oatmeal again for breakfast and it just cemented for me that I probably won't order it often again. It just doesn't have the same texture as the Quaker Apple Cinnamon oatmeal that I was eating before. I like my oatmeal fairly thick but not dry, and this was coming out pretty dry.

For lunch, I tried the Broccoli Parmesan Pasta. Like the Fettuccine Alfredo, this comes in a container like a Cup A Soup, and you add boiling water to it, stir, and let it sit for 8 minutes so the noodles can cook and soak up the excess liquid. I didn't really taste much broccoli in it- it could definitely use more. But the sauce was creamy and parmesan-y, so it was a pretty good meal.



I was pretty hungry by dinnertime so I wanted comfort food. I picked Cheese and Spinach Ravioli with Meat Sauce. I was a little disappointed when I opened the container and saw there were only two raviolis but they were pretty large. I tried to eat slowly and take small bites so they'd be more satisfying. I find if the food lasts longer, it's more filling. Those are probably good habits for me to get into anyway, since before I'd probably scarf those down in a couple of bites and look for more, when I really didn't need any more.



For dessert, I chose probably my favourite so far; the Fudge Brownie. That is not diet food, I'm telling you. They stuck normal brownies in my box by accident. The only thing that would make it better is walnuts or maybe some icing but it's pretty darn good without. I gave Dan a bite and he agrees.



So far, I'm still enjoying the program. Not sure how I'll feel down the road but we'll take it one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're doing well, but I have to say - I'm absolutely stunned at the amount of garbage being produced. Steve and I recycle and compost almost everything and put out one kitchen-catcher-sized bag of garbage per week, so seeing that much waste is hard for me to take. The sheer volume of the packaging is unreal... please do consider that and recycle what you can! Very little of it looks recyclable, which is shocking in and of itself, but every little bit helps.

    One thing I'm not understanding about this program: if you're adding certain foods to each meal, why do you need the pre-packaged "diet" food at all? Ultimately, it sounds like you're eating real food and just adding on a portion of something from Nutrisystem. Could you not just eat that real food and watch calories and portion sizes to get the exact same result? Is it really saving time for you?

    Also, I'm curious about the salt content of these meals, especially the soups and pastas - care to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there is a lot of garbage. Each meal comes in its own little package and only the cardboard boxes are recyclable. We do recycle as much as possible, but yeah... the baby makes an enormous amount of trash all by himself. Between disposable diapers and Playtex drop ins, we're usually 1-2 green garbage bags a week but at least we have a full blue box every week as well.

    It's saving me a ton of time. The Nutrisystem stuff is the meal, I'm generally just adding fruits and vegetables which take no time at all to prepare. I really can't be bothered to watch calories and measure food right now when I'd rather be with Matthew. Some days I still don't get lunch until the middle of the day because he doesn't nap. If I had to make something, it'd be that much longer. I'm doing this program solely to save time- otherwise I'd be back on Herbal Magic where I made all my own food.

    None of them are low sodium. They average about 600mg for the lunches and dinners and 300mg for the breakfasts and desserts. I'm usually around 2500mg of sodium daily which is a litte bit over the daily recommended about but not enough to be concerned about.

    ReplyDelete