This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Cherry Overload!

Well, I had to get through that can of sugarfree cherry pie filling I opened, right? So cherry everything it is until then! I am really enjoying my experimentations with it though- so far everything's been really yummy!

This recipe is very similar to the Blueberry Ricotta Danish I posted about before, using the Blueberry Pancake Mix, but modified so you can enjoy chocolate with your cherries. The inspiration is from the NS boards.

Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix (Breakfast):


Chocolate Chip Cherry Cheesecake Bun

1 pkg Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix
1 oz fat free cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp + 2tsp Splenda
1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp vanilla
1/3 c buttermilk
2-3 tbsp SF cherry pie filling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a single serve casserole dish with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, 1 tsp of the dry pancake mix, 2 tsp Splenda and 1/4 tsp vanilla. In another small bowl, stir together the pancake mix, buttermilk, and remaining Splenda and vanilla. Pour the batter into the casserole dish. Drop the cream cheese mixture on top of the batter, then top with pie filling. Bake until done (about 20-25 minutes) Let cool before eating.

I liked this but preferred the danish with ricotta cheese as opposed to cream cheese. I found that it kept the bun moist and light while this was a little drier. I would consider making some kind of sauce (perhaps thickening a Da Vinci or Torani vanilla or chocolate syrup?) and drizzling it on top.


This dessert isn't quite the real thing, but it's close enough that you can definitely close your eyes and pretend. It's also in a big enough serving that I actually felt like a glutton for eating it all, but low calorie enough that you can enjoy every bite guilt free.

Flex Meals (Dessert):

The guidelines for a flex dessert are:

Dessert

1 Dairy Serving
1 Low Glycemic Carbohydrate Serving


NY Style Cheesecake


1 large graham cracker, crushed into crumbs
2 oz fat free cream cheese
2 tbsp light ricotta cheese
1 tbsp vanilla Greek yogurt
2 1/2 tbsp Splenda
1 1/2 tbsp Egg Beaters
1/2 tsp lemon juice or vanilla extract

2-3 tbsp of fruit or sugarfree pie filling
1-2 tbsp fat free whipped cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix together cheeses, yogurt, Splenda, juice/extract and Egg Beaters and stir until well blended. Spray your baking dish with cooking spray (I used a mini silicone loaf pan). Add in the graham cracker crumbs and shake around to coat bottom of dish. Pour cheesecake filling into dish and put the dish into a larger oven safe dish and add water about half way up the side of the mini pan in the larger dish to create a water bath. Bake the cheesecake for 40 minutes, then turn off toaster oven or oven and let it sit in the oven for 10 minutes. I put mine in the fridge to let it set while I had dinner, and then topped with the cherry filling and whipped cream.

I honestly thought when I looked at the recipe on the NS boards that this was going to taste like crap. I mean, I couldn't even imagine that this would produce something even similar to that rich, cheesecake flavour that I love. I fully expected to be pitching it and choosing a different dessert!

Boy, was I ever pleasantly surprised. The texture is perfect and the flavour is very close. Does it have that heavy taste? No, it's not quite as dense, but as long as you aren't eating it right after eating a piece of the good stuff (and who does that?), I think you'll find this a delicious substitute!

No comments:

Post a Comment