This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cinco de Mayo!

OK, so I'm a few weeks late! I love Mexican food and I've been trying to find as many ways as possible to enjoy it while on NS (if anyone at Nutrisystem Headquarters is reading- bring back the Beef Tacos!!!!). I read about a great way to adapt the veggie fajita into a delicious Mexican dinner.

Vegetable Fajita (Dinner):


Make it into Mexican lasagna, of course!


1 pkg vegetable fajita
chopped onions, green peppers, tomatoes
8 oz water
garlic powder, pepper, chili powder, and cumin (to taste)
1 tbsp green chilis
1/4 cup red enchilada sauce
1 tortilla
1/2 cup cheese
2 tbsp sour cream
chopped green onions and tomatoes for garnish

In a pan, saute chopped onions, bell peppers, 8 oz water, fajita mix, spices, and chilis until thickened. Add enchilada sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cut tortilla in six equal triangles, then start layering into lasagna, alternating tortillas, cheese, sour cream, and fajita mixture. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees, and garnish with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and green onions.

This is SO filling and delicious. I was stuffed by the time I finished the bowl. The best part is, since everyone gets to add a carb with the veggie fajita, anyone can enjoy this recipe. I happen to be one of those nuts who like the fajita just the way it is, but it is definitely improved when served like this!

Flex Meals (Breakfast):

Here are the stats for a breakfast on your own:

Breakfast

1 Dairy Serving
1 Lean Protein Serving
1 Fruit Serving
1 Low Glycemic Carbohydrate Serving


I got this recipe idea off the NS boards, and while it's not very photogenic- it's delicious! It does require some prep time though so unless you're lucky enough to be on maternity leave like I am, you might want to save it for a weekend treat.

Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast Bowl


2 pieces of low calorie wheat bread
2 oz fat free cream cheese
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Splenda
1/4 cup + 1 tsp Egg Beaters
1/4 cup fat free milk

1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Splenda
1/3 c sugar free cherry pie filling

Spray a single serving casserole dish with PAM spray. In a small bowl, mix the softened cream cheese with lemon juice, 1 tbsp Splenda, and 1 tsp Egg Beaters. Set it aside. In another small bowl mix together 1/4 cup Egg Beaters, milk, vanilla extract, and 1 tbsp of Splenda. In the casserole dish, break up one slice of bread into small chunks. Top it with the cream cheese mixture. Add the cherry pie filling, then the next slice of bread, also broken into chunks. Pour the egg mixture on top and press the bread down well to make sure all the egg mixture soaks up into it. Spray the top with some cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Let it sit for a few minutes after you take it out of the oven before you devour it!

Will someone please tell me how it is possible to eat such yummy things for breakfast and still lose weight? Bueller?


And here's another review of a tasty NS dessert item. Don't forget that chocolate melts during the summer so if you want to order some of these, do it soon!

Thin Mint Crisp Bar (Dessert):


Yum! This is basically a chocolate granola bar with mint flavouring drizzled with chocolate. I do like the Mint Chocolate Crunch Bar better but that's because I prefer just plain chocolate. I do enjoy this for a change of pace though- definitely give it a try if you like mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment