This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mmm... chocolate...

I got a tip from the message boards that I hadn't even considered- since the Nutrisystem food is shelf stable and shipped in cardboard boxes, chocolate items tend to melt in the summer. Stock up now before it gets too hot out! I decided just to order 2 months' worth of food now and I'm going to delay through the hot part of the summer.

I made it a goal to try just about everything that NS offers so that I could review it here. I've tried a few new things this order and was pleasantly surprised.

Tomato & Corn Chowder (Lunch):


Why was this discontinued??? It's rich and zesty and filled with flavour. Much, much better than the Creamy Tomato Soup. Fortunately, it's still findable at Big Lots stores in the US and I've been able to buy it from other NS clients.


Cinnamon Swirl Granola Bar (Breakfast):


I took one look at this and it was reminiscent of the Apple Granola Bar that ended up in the trash. I took a bite, and fortunately, it was much better. It still wasn't one of my favourite breakfasts but it was edible. I'm not crazy about NS granola bars as a general rule, although I do like the Chocolate Chip one. This bar was sweet and cinnamon-y.


Vegetable Beef Soup (Lunch):


Now this was the big surprise. I wasn't expecting to like this but it was delicious! Full of beef and potato chunks and lots of vegetables. I used to love to eat beef stew with big chunks of sourdough bread and butter. Obviously I can't do that anymore but I think I may save my breakfast carb and my dinner fat to go with this meal in the future. It was very satisfying and I added more to my auto delivery.


I have my next hurdle tomorrow- one of my best friends is getting married. And yes, there's an open bar, which in the past I would have loved to partake. I'm thinking that at this stage of my weight loss though, it's not really worth it. For one night of fun, I'll probably have a zero loss this week if I drink a bunch of empty calories and I want to keep going towards my next Nutribear. I may even skip that slice of wedding cake! Hopefully the food won't be too unhealthy (it's a plated dinner, not a buffet). Either way, I'm sure it'll be a fun night and I'm looking forward to celebrating with him and his new wife.

I have a friend who is also trying to lose weight, but every time something comes up she tells me "It's a special occasion" and goes to town- drinks, dessert, and an unhealthy meal. I can sympathize with her outlook, but there is always going to be something going on- that's life. We are always going to be faced with temptations to give in and settle back into our old habits.

Don't get me wrong- I don't think celebrating once in a while is a bad thing. But I think it really does need to be something out of the ordinary and an infrequent occurrence. Eating like that is one reason that we all got the way we are, and to make this a permanent lifestyle change, we have to find ways to cope with temptation. Like Ashley said on the Biggest Loser this past week- we've changed, but the factors that helped us get overweight have not. They'll still be there long after we reach goal, and we need to be able to deal with them. Our journeys don't end when we finish losing weight- that's when the real work begins.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, I have been following your blog for sometime. I found you on the NS site on FB. I appreciate the fact that you are giving ideas and opinions on the menus NS has. I just started Monday and I have been struggling for over 2 years since I had my third child to lose weight. I am really hoping this plan works for me at least as a starter. Thank you for your opinions! I too have a blog, come check me out. www.rememberingyouscraps.blogspot.com Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fay said...

    Too bad I read your post after my order came in. Our weather this time of year is brutally hot and I didn't even think about that. We hover around 35 celcius but with the humidity it's even more than that. I'm hopeful that the chocalte items will recover. The one I had last night wasn't too bad.

    I also tried the veggie fajita today and I agree with you 100%. I was so surprised at how yummy it is. Gotta order more of them. I like them better than the buffalo chicken.

    I had the vegetable beef soup last week and just made it into getting it in my order. I continue to be surprised by the quality of NS foods. I keep trying new things and they are really things I never would have considered before.

    My bear didn't show but I haven't had a chance to call them. I'll bet they were so backed up that I'll get it in my next order.

    Thanks for taking the time to review stuff.

    I love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fay- I would definitely call about your bear. The computer is supposed to add it automatically, so if it didn't appear on your packing slip then it got missed. They'll send it to you right away if you call them and mention it was missing.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying my reviews and I hope your chocolate arrives unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie,
    I tried the your grown up mac n cheese recipe and it was delicious! As I read this particular blog I felt reinforced with the thought of completely skipping alcohol whenever the temptation presented itself to me. You see I recently began to really get into the drinking scene. We all know how unhealthy drinking beer and alcohol really is!!! My thing is that I would combine watching sports, drinking, and pigging out! This became so unhealthy for me as now I have gained about 40lbs. This all began when I began dating my current boyfriend. It's both of us having too much fun and getting "comfortable." I am afraid, since this is only my 2nd week on NS. it's Oct and Lakers season is around the corner...lol and I am afraid to regress from what I have already accomplished!!! Any advice? :) Thanks again for your awesome blogs!!! and best of luck we are all rootin for ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Anonymous 6:35- glad you liked my mac and cheese recipe- it's one of my favourites!

    Yes, I know how unhealthy alcohol is, and one of the worst parts is that it's not really the taste we want- it's the way we feel when we drink. I enjoy wine and champagne, and when I'm on holiday I like to have frozen drinks. But I know what kind of damage they will do to my weight loss program, and right now, it's a question of what do I want more?

    I can drink if I choose to- no one is out there stopping me. I have to want to lose weight more than I want to drink, just the same as I want to lose weight more than I want to eat those French fries or whatever tempting goodie someone waves in front of me.

    It's a decision only you can make for yourself. I do believe this is a lifestyle change and I don't plan on abstaining from alcohol forever. In fact, I'm going on a cruise in December and I do plan on imbibing. But for a "regular" week, it's just not worth it to me. My body can handle a week off program- but much more than that, and I'll end up right back where I started. What do you want more?

    My best advice would be to give yourself something on plan that feels like a treat. I rarely drink diet soda anymore, so having one at a movie feels like a bit of a treat. I also will make my favourite recipes (look for my cheesecake) or something snack-y like my trail mix recipe so that I have special munchies of my own. It helps me feel like I'm not being left out but without ruining my progress.

    Stick around and comment anytime you need some support or please feel free to email me directly using the link that mentions the $30 coupon on the top right side of the page! Good luck on your program- just remember that if you follow it, you WILL lose weight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Susie,
    you are such a great motivator! Thank you so much for allowing me this space for support!!! I will definitely plan ahead and prevent those temptations! Thank you, thank you!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete