This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

What was your favourite meal?

One of the dishes that contributed to my weight gain was the delicious spinach dip appetizers that are served at a variety of restaurants. Mmm... gobs of melted cheese with just enough spinach for flavour, served with nachos or deep fried pita points or some other calorie-laden concoction. I'm definitely a carb and cheese addict so this was right up my alley. I decided to try and find a way to make something similar but NS friendly. At first, it seemed almost impossible!

Cream of Broccoli Soup (Lunch):


I started by adding 2 squares of Laughing Cow Cheese light to the soup mix, and then pouring slightly less than the usual amount of hot water into the cup and covering it and letting it stand. In the meantime, I thawed 3 cubes of frozen diced spinach and microwaved them with a little garlic. When the soup was ready (it's much thicker than usual with the LC cheese and the reduced water), I stirred in the spinach and put it in the microwave. If you have a carb serving, now's the time to grab some Guiltless Gourmet Garlic & Herb pita chips and enjoy the dip with them. If not, pick up a Nutrisystem Grilled Chicken Breast and spoon some dip on top (sprinkle with a tiny bit of shredded cheese) and then heat. The rest of the dip is delicious over steamed asparagus, green beans, or broccoli. Just like the Flame Broiled Beef Patty, the Grilled Chicken Breast can be used as a protein serving in conjunction with another entree if you don't add the carb. Of course, you can always use your own serving of grilled chicken breast as long as it meets the dairy/protein requirements of 100 calories or less, 3g of fat or less, 7g of protein or more.

I really enjoyed this dip- it definitely satiated my craving for something fatty and cheesy. And believe me, when you're coming off a zero loss week, sometimes all you want to do is stuff your face, stupid as that is.


Chicken A La King (Lunch):


Sorry about the terrible picture- I must have moved the camera while I was taking it. This is a discontinued Nutrisystem lunch item that I thought was pretty good. It is chicken and noodles in a creamy sauce. It wasn't anything special but I enjoyed it and would eat it again. I have 4 left I think but I probably won't be seeking it out like other discontinued items such as the Beef Tacos and Microwave Chocolate Cake.


Mushroom Risotto (Dinner):


For the past week, I've been switching up my lunches and dinners to try and get my metabolism moving again. So this gave me a protein to use with my dinner, so I decided to have the risotto with extra cremini mushrooms as a side dish instead of an entree. I ate one of the salmon burgers I mentioned in my previous post with my dinner carb serving along with it. Boy, was I stuffed after lunch! This meal had 44 grams of protein and you really noticed it. I had a hard time coming up with words to describe the risotto. It is zesty but not spicy, and very yummy. My husband tasted it and he described it as rich, flavourful, and very satisfying. I'll be ordering it again. I think you'll have to try this one for yourself to see if you like it- it's very unique. I know what you're thinking; usually unique means bad, tactfully. But that really isn't the case here!

No comments:

Post a Comment