This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Would you like fries with that?

Who doesn't miss McDonalds? Yes, their food is crap, but there is something comforting about biting into a greasy hamburger from there, at least for me. Maybe this explains why I'm so overweight? :)

I set out to recreate my old nemesis, the Big Mac. Surprisingly, I came pretty close!



One of the counselors at Nutrisystem sparked this idea for me. She told me that the hamburger patty can count as a protein if you don't add the bun, so for a treat I could have a double hamburger (because it does get kind of expensive to eat two entrees in one evening). Two patties made me think of a Big Mac, so it only remained to figure out the best way to make it!

I started by toasting a low calorie whole wheat hamburger bun, plus an extra bottom piece to make the third piece of bread. The rest of the idea was easy- a slice of cheese, lettuce, and onions (plus pickle if you like it but I don't). But wait- how was I going to make the Big Mac sauce? That stuff is deadly. I thought about the flavours, and took 1 tbsp of mayonnaise (my fat serving, but use fat free or reduced fat if you prefer), 2 tbsp of fat free thousand island dressing, and 1 tsp of relish. The flavour was pretty close!

Next- we can't have fries, but onion rings are a pretty good substitute. I saw this recipe on the Nutrisystem boards so I went out and bought a Spanish onion. Unfortunately when I cut into it, it was weird and did not have rings, so I decided to just make onion patties instead by cutting them into slices and breading those. Take a few spoonfuls of whole wheat breadcrumbs and spice them with your favourite seasonings (I like Italian spice) and dip the onion rings in Eggbeaters, then into the breadcrumbs. Spray with a little PAM spray, and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, and serve with the rest of the Big Mac sauce.



My husband took one look at my plate and said "That can't be OK." I wouldn't have this every day, but boy does it hit the spot if you have a fast food craving!

If you don't get an extra carb serving with dinner, I suggest having a lunch like the Chicken or Tuna Salad and putting it over veggies and saving that carb serving for the breadcrumbs and the extra piece of hamburger bun. It's worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I am just getting started in loosing weight. I am really surprise the Nutrisystem counselors said this was ok to eat. Dee

    ReplyDelete