This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fruit Week!

Before I started Nutrisystem, I didn't really eat a lot of fruit. I liked the occasional bowl of strawberries with ice cream or watermelon in the summer, but that was about it. When I started Nutrisystem with more than 100 pounds to lose, I was expected to eat three servings a day, which seemed so crazy!

I will admit that I still do miss the occasional fruit serving but I try to keep V8 Fusion in the house so that if I realize I didn't have any, then I can have a glass of their Peach-Mango blend which is really yummy cold! I dilute juice with water so that it seems like more and I can't taste the difference anyway since most juice is so sweet.

So this week on Stomach Rumblings is devoted to interesting ways to incorporate fruit into your diet, beyond just peeling and eating. I've created a new tag called Fruit Ideas that you can click if you need some inspiration!


Cranberry Orange Pastry (Breakfast):



This is one of my favourite breakfasts even just plain, but it was delicious prepared this way!

Cranberry Orange Shortcake:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Cranberry Orange Pastry
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
5 slices of water packed mandarin orange
Splenda, to taste (optional)
orange extract, to taste (optional)

Mix the yogurt and Splenda until well blended, and add the orange extract. Slice the pastry carefully in two lengthwise, and spoon half of the yogurt mixture on the bottom piece of pastry. Place 4 orange slices on top of yogurt, and top with the remaining pastry half. "Ice" the top of the pastry with the remaining yogurt and decorate with the last orange slice. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Nice idea! I found your blog through the NS site. I have joined about 6 weeks ago. I enjoy your blog and ideas, I find them very helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas! Definitely liven up the meals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic!! Is that enough orange slices for a serving or do you have to supplement to fulfill it? I had never thought of making anything with the pastry, it is so good already! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca- 5 pieces is about 1/4 cup and a serving is 1/2 cup. I'm sure you could squish more inside the pastry but it wouldn't look very photogenic so I kept the number low. Go ahead and use more if you like!

    The dairy count is low too so you could have another mini meal if you wanted one, but there's enough protein there if you don't.

    ReplyDelete