This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ode to Spaghetti Squash

I have to admit, Nutrisystem has opened me up to trying vegetables that I would never have considered eating before. Not only were they weird looking but I had no idea how to prepare them.

I bought a spaghetti squash at the farmer's market last weekend because I read how it can be a great pasta substitute but I was still a little intimidated as to how to make it. The instructions I saw were to cut it in half and place it on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes or so at 375 degrees. Then scoop out the seeds and pulp and use a fork to "comb" out the noodley strands.

It really was weird seeing the "noodles" scoop out so easily! It wasn't a solid mass like I half expected- just a bunch of fibrous strands. And much to my surprise, it was good! I dumped the Spaghetti with Meat Sauce entree over the top and added 1/2 cup of tomato sauce to compensate for the extra "pasta" and it made an absolutely enormous serving that I had a hard time finishing and it was really good! I am looking forward to eating the other half of the squash tonight. Definitely give this a try to bulk up your pasta entrees, or even as a flex meal (make some meat sauce and have a slice of garlic bread for your carb and fat servings!).


Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (Dinner):



I know this doesn't look very appetizing in the dish but pasta isn't exactly the most attractive meal anyway. I am not sure why I let this sit in my cupboard so long since I enjoy all of NS's other pasta dishes (with the exception of the ravioli because psychologically it just seems like not enough food), but I read that a lot of people didn't like the spaghetti so I was nervous to try it. I was very happy to find that it was yummy, and with the spaghetti squash mixed in it made a really great dinner. I'll be ordering more of these next auto delivery.

Next week I am going to try to do a series of posts on ideas for eating fruit (beyond just peeling and eating), so check back if you're interested!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE spaghetti squash! I was a little intimidated by it, too, the first time I prepared one, but I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty and filling it was - and for seriously less calories & more fibre than even whole wheat pasta. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete