This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Importance of Protein

I've now been on Nutrisystem for 41 weeks. So far I still haven't really hit the dreaded plateau, but I'm sure it'll be coming at some point. Nutrisystem defines a plateau as 2 or more weeks with no weight loss while being 100% on program. My loss has been slowing, but I was happy to post a 1.6lb loss this week! It only makes sense that it will slow down- the calorie reduction is no longer a shock to my system, I don't have the water weight to lose, and since I am physically smaller my body needs fewer calories to maintain my weight so there is a smaller deficit at the end of the week even if I am eating exactly the same as I was a few months ago.

One thing that I've found that helps me a lot at this stage is protein. The average protein intake on the Women's Basic program is 77g/day according to the Nutrisystem Dieticians. I read in the October edition of Women's Health that some nutritionists believe that we need more protein than was previously thought. Protein is responsible for keeping us full and for repairing body tissues as well as other functions. I've been trying to keep my protein at closer to 100g a day, and since then I've been finding that I have more energy and fewer cravings, and I'm not hungry most of the time.

When you look at your meal planner, remember that the serving for a dairy/protein can be up to 100 calories, less than 3g of fat, and 7g of protein or more. If you choose a lean protein instead of a dairy, you can frequently have more than the amounts listed in the book under protein- for example, instead of 1oz of ham, I can have 3oz and still meet the serving requirements, and I also get way more protein than if I chose something like a low fat cheese stick. Some of my favourite protein sources are Greek yogurt, fish, and Egg Beaters.

I've spoken before about how awesome it is to eat dessert every day while on a diet. You might have thought about substituting other desserts for Nutrisystem ones (like the Hungry Girl recipes, which are often pretty awesome!) Just keep in mind that the Nutrisystem desserts aren't an extra- they're a mini meal full of nutrients, including protein. Most low calorie dessert items have very little protein, which can leave you feeling hungry soon afterwards and more likely to choose an off plan snack. When you're flexing dessert, keep an eye on the protein counts and you'll feel more satisfied afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog on the Cornucopia Blog hop! I'm now following you!
    ~Erika
    http://erikajo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is Nicole from Colies Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I really like your blog, and am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete