This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Breakfast Time!

There are only a few more breakfast items for me to review so I thought I'd try to get them all at once. If you notice I am missing any breakfast entrees that aren't from the Select plan, please let me know!

Sweetened O's Cereal (Breakfast):



I was expecting this to be bad, but the first bite was definitely acceptable. I like the sweet taste. The aftertaste isn't as great but I think this cereal would also make an OK trail mix type snack with some dried fruit and nuts (use your fat serving and breakfast fruit). Just remember to add an additional 1/2 dairy serving to your day if you do choose to eat these dry. These are much better than the Whole Grain O's Cereal.


Scrambled Eggs with Peppers and Mushrooms (Breakfast):



Unfortunately I think this discontinued entree went bad. I knew it was expired but I figured powdered eggs must be like Twinkies and live forever, right? I was a little antsy when I saw the egg powder was more of an orangey brown but I figured I'd try to make it and see what happens. Well, it never came together like eggs are supposed to- it stayed like a powdery mush. I figured better safe than sorry and I threw it away. I was a little disappointed since I know the eggs were such a popular entree with many NS'ers but I guess they weren't popular enough to stay on the menu.


Scrambled Eggs with Cheddar Cheese (Breakfast):



When I saw the other egg entree was bad, I figured I'd give this one a try since I was in the mood for eggs. I was hoping it was still good and when I opened the container it looked normal so I made it. These were surprisingly good with a little black pepper. Sorry, I forgot to take the photo before I added my dairy/protein serving (fat free ham and a fat free Kraft single). If there were more of these around, I'd definitely eat them, but this is a fairly simple meal to flex. Also, if you're flexing breakfast you get a low GI carb serving (again, I'm not sure how these qualified as an entree with such a low carb count) so what I like to do is get a small whole wheat tortilla and cook up an egg or Egg Beaters and top with the ham and cheese to make a breakfast burrito. You could also use turkey sausage instead of ham if it fits the dairy/protein stats of 100 calories or less, 3g of fat or less, and 7g of protein or more (don't forget to count your cheese in that too!). I also sometimes add tomatoes or onions or whatever I'm in the mood for to make an omelette wrap.

I really think that breakfast is the easiest meal to eat healthfully at. You can make just about anything you enjoy and it will fit on the NS plan. Sometimes you have to work at it a little bit to find reasonable substitutes for really fatty ingredients but you can usually make it work.

I made my Pumpkin Cheesecake again tonight... I think this is going to become one of my favourite flex desserts. Last time I only took a photo of the top so today I wanted to show you what it looks like with the layers. I only make a single serving but you could definitely increase the recipe and do this in a traditional round cheesecake and serve it to company- it's high protein, low calorie, and absolutely delicious. No one has to know that it's nutritious!

5 comments:

  1. Now following thru Thursdays Bloghop. I cant wait to read more. Would love for a follow back

    Samantha
    http://thelifeofawifenmommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Thanksgiving!

    Best wishes!

    Nay x

    Moonangelnay Handmade Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just following you from the Thursday blog hop too. Stick with it...you are doing brilliantly. I love these recipes too and am off to copy a few down. It's very difficult to find decent recipes and I can never be bothered to bbrowse cookery books. As for breakfast porridge is a good meal...especially with a little chopped banana and date on top. I gained masses of weight after my son was born and it took a couple of years to shake it all off....healthy eating is definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following from the blog hop!
    You can follow me at www.mikaspantry.blogspot.com

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!
    Thank you so much for following. I am following you back
    Tiffany @Wyatt Family farm

    ReplyDelete