This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

More Thanksgiving Treats

I got an email from Hungry Girl with some great pumpkin recipes, so I thought I'd give them a try and review them here for you. If you haven't visited the Hungry Girl website I definitely recommend it- just keep an eye on the nutritional information, because while all the items are low calorie, they may not all fit into the Nutrisystem program.

Pancake Mix (Breakfast):



Caramel Pudding Pumpkin Cupcakes:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Pancake Mix
1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
5 tsp Egg Beaters
1 tsp sugarfree maple syrup
1 tsp Splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cube of caramel
1/4 tsp fat free milk

In a bowl, mix together everything but the caramel and milk. Pour into the muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. In the microwave, melt the caramel and milk for 30 seconds and stir vigorously to blend. Drizzle the caramel over the muffins and enjoy.

Well, the picture didn't come out very well. I should have clued in from the name of pudding cupcakes that these would be soft and gooey, and using a fancy silicone baking mold wasn't going to work. I was trying to make roses but unfortunately the batter got stuck and they came out crushed. They tasted really great, though! I also made a few modifications to the Hungry Girl recipe. Since these were far too low in protein to count as a dessert and not really suitable for anything else, I substituted NS pancake mix for the yellow cake mix. I don't think it hurt the flavour any. Here's the original Hungry Girl recipe if you're interested. This makes one large serving and it counts as a breakfast or dessert entree plus a free food, with 190 calories, 42g carbs, 2g fat, and 11g of protein.

Flex Meals (Dessert):



Hungry Girl Too Good To Deny Pumpkin Pie:

2 graham crackers, crushed
1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp Egg Beaters
2 tbsp Splenda
1 tbsp sugarfree maple syrup
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Spray a baking dish with PAM and pour the graham crumbs inside, spread evenly. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour batter into the dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving with a little whipped cream on top.

The original Hungry Girl recipe is here. Again, I made a few modifications to compensate for the low protein and my tastes. Also, since I'm the only one eating it, I didn't want a whole pie so I tried to boil the recipe down to a single serving. I counted this as a breakfast or dessert plus a fruit (and a free food if you use the whipped cream). It has 209 calories, 35g of carbs, 2g of fat, and 12g of protein. I substituted graham crackers for the Fibre One cereal because I'm just not a big fan of the taste of Fibre One. Use that if you prefer it though. This was pretty good! I like my pumpkin pie sweet and tangy so I increased the proportionate amount of Splenda and pumpkin pie spice- feel free to decrease a little if you prefer a milder flavour.

Definitely give these recipes a try if you're looking for a pumpkin-y treat!

1 comment:

  1. Susie, I tried your adaptation of the pumpkin pie last night, and it was fantastic! I thought there was too much pumpkin pie spice for my tastes, so I'm halving the amount (1 tsp.), and I've got another one in the oven right now to take for Thanksgiving dessert. I'm also making a crustless version for my husband's grandmother, who has Celiac disease, and I'm hoping she'll love it as much as I do. The texture is great, and it's enormous! My husband and I will surely split one, as we did last night. Thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete