This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Taking Control

After 40 weeks on Nutrisystem, I have lost 77lbs. Saying it out loud kind of brings a tone of unreality- like how was this possible? How could I have lost so much weight without getting frustrated and wanting to quit? And how the heck was I so overweight in the first place that I could lose 77lbs and still have more to go (although that number is getting smaller and smaller!).

That brings me to something I've been thinking about lately. My life and my health were completely out of control and I felt helpless to change the situation. I hated my body and how I looked but I still could not make a change on my own. I had reached the point where I felt that I was so overweight that it didn't even matter anymore- I couldn't possibly lose so much weight so why even bother trying? I had given up on myself.

Then a friend of mine invited me to do a 6 week weight loss challenge with her. I said OK, figuring maybe this would give me the motivation to change things. After the first week, not only had I not lost a single pound, but nothing had changed. I wasn't exercising, my eating habits weren't improving, and I felt even more helpless to change things. With a three month old baby around, I was still having trouble finding time to sleep and go to the bathroom, let alone prepare healthy meals!

I was sitting on my couch watching TV and just thinking about how I let myself get into this situation. Then an ad for Nutrisystem came on and I thought that this might be my solution- it certainly couldn't make things any worse than they were! Having healthy meals prepackaged and ready to eat would eliminate my time crunch problem and spending the money would motivate me actually to follow the program. Their money back guarantee also felt like a fail-safe in case the food really was as bad as some online reviews say it is!

So I worked up my courage and told my husband that I didn't think I could do it alone this time and I needed some help. He was so supportive right from the beginning and told me not to worry about the money and that we were investing in my health. So I did it- I ordered my first box of food and started this journey that has changed my life (and I won the challenge, by the way, even with that one week zero loss!).

When I posted on the Nutrisystem Facebook board that Nutrisystem saved my life, it was only partially true. Nutrisystem gave me the tools that I needed to lose the weight, but I was the one who took them and used them. I have regained control over my life- I'm no longer the helpless bystander who just allows things to happen to her. I make the decisions about things that affect me, and I'm damn proud that I made this one.

We all have it in us to be strong and capable- the person that we want to be. Sometimes we just need a little help to realize it!

12 comments:

  1. This is sooo great to hear! I am also doing NS. I am on day 4! this is so encouraging! --- Thanks for linking up at Making Friends Monday! I am now following you vis GFC and facebook!! I look forward to reading more of your journey! Hope you have a great week! ~Heather Hope you'll follow me too! www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com & www.facebook.com/livingonloveandcents

    ReplyDelete
  2. opps sorry I went to follow you on fb and can't find it. Do you have a fb?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a really motivating post!! congrats on how far you've come! i had a family friend that also used nutrisystem and lost so much weight. i would love to try it as well :)

    i'm following from a monday blog hop! i hope you'll come to my blog and follow me back!

    best,
    april

    www.marineparents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for joining & following the Cornucopia of Blogs Hop! Following you back on your blog! Have a great week! :)
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! congrats on losing all of that weight. you are an inspiration : )

    I just found your blog through a Monday blog hop! Have a great evening.

    Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up on Mom Blog Monday! We're the featured blog of the week so we wanted to stop over to say hello! We look forward to following along with you and hope you'll do the same!
    Blessings,
    j
    www.beneaththeacaciatree.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these kinds of stories, helps me stay motivated. Thank you for sharing.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I am following back.

    Please feel free to come back anytime and check out my current giveaways- http://www.bassgiraffe.com/giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your decision! I was in your same shoes about 3 years ago. I lost 50 lbs and never looked back! It is difficult at first but once you get over the first month or so it gets much easier! Good luck and thanks for following me from the Cornucopia of Blog Hops! I am following you back.

    Mellisa
    www.funsavingmoney.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS! I've been struggling with my weight all my life too and its sooooo hard so big KUDOS to you for keeping it up. I know I need to work on some things but I've lost 35lbs in a year and I know I can keep this off. Now I need to stop eating this Halloween candy! Keep up the AWESOME work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job!
    I am now a follow. I hope you will follow me back.
    Nancy
    www.findingblessingsineverydaylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations on such an accomplishment!

    Thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I would like to invite you to this week’s The Wednesday Window . It is the place to feature your favorite blog post of the past week or so, for more details check out Frugality Is Free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. JRFrugalMom- done :) I love your blog and the idea of the Wednesday Window- thanks for starting it!

    ReplyDelete