This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Eat the Rainbow!

OK, so that sounds a little silly... but the sentiment behind it is good. Fruits and vegetables come in a wide variety of colours and they all have different vitamins, minerals and nutrients to benefit our bodies. It's great for our health to eat lots of different coloured foods. Just think back to before you started making healthier choices- what colour was the food on your plate most days? I'd guess that a lot of it was beige or brown or white- monochromatic. So try everything you can- you might be surprised at how full of flavour vegetables can be, or how satisfying a juicy piece of fruit can be!

Here's a tasty recipe to help you get some colour in your day.


Chicken Salad (Lunch):




Chicken Pasta Salad:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Chicken Salad
1 carb serving of rotini pasta
1 dairy/protein serving of chopped chicken
1 whole green onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tbsp relish
1 tbsp light mayonnaise (optional)
black pepper, garlic to taste

Prepare your pasta as directed on the package. Allow it to cool, and mix all the ingredients together. If you add lots of vegetables, you may wish to use the extra light mayonnaise for a little extra sauce but I didn't think it was necessary. If desired, chill your salad in the fridge for half an hour and enjoy!

The Chicken Salad entree is designed to be served with a small whole grain roll, so I've substituted whole wheat pasta as my carb addition instead.

I am still surprised at how much I enjoy the Chicken Salad. It's an entree that I've been eating since I first started my Nutrisystem journey back in January 2010. Yes, it looks really gross when it comes out of the package and the texture is unappealing, but I really like the flavour! Not to mention that it is pretty much a blank palette- you can use it as a base to make it whatever way you like your chicken salad. I find that green onions really perk it up, but I know some people like to use part of their fruit and fat servings to add apple chunks and walnuts for example. So definitely give this entree a try if you haven't yet (or a second shot if you have but didn't add anything to it)- it's one of the easiest meals to fix up and definitely makes a satisfying meal. You can see my other Chicken Salad recipes by clicking the tag in my Nutrisystem Entrees section on the sidebar.

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I've been following your blog since I started on NS in January, and I love the different recipes you create with the meals! You've mentioned Flex Meal guidelines several times, but I can't seem to find those anywhere on the NS site. Where did you get those? Thanks, and keep up the good work! It's so great to see that it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    I use the flex plan guidelines for the Women's Basic program. To get a copy of the flex guidelines for your plan, you can call a counselor and ask them to email you, or just email counselling@nutrisystem.com and they will send you the appropriate guidelines for your program.

    It's totally possible to follow your plan while not eating NS food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, just wanted to say thanks for this recipe. What a fantastic idea and so great for the finally warm weather!

    I made my own version of this using chicken breast, diced cucumbers, diced bell pepper, and chopped red onions with whole wheat rotini pasta. To make the sauce, I used the chicken salad entree, 2T of FF mayo, a tiny scoop of juice from the dill pickle relish jar, some freeze dried dill, and Mrs. Dash Tomato, Basil, Garlic. It was just divine! I think this would work well with the tuna salad and albacore too.

    ReplyDelete