This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Would You Like Fries with That? (Part 2)

As you've seen, I like to work on recreating as many of my old favourite meals as possible. That way, when I have a craving for something really unhealthy, I have a way to satisfy it without going off program. It's really hard to feel deprived when you have to sit and try to think of things you want but can't have!

Today I walked past a New York Fries and remembered a dish I used to enjoy but haven't eaten since before I got pregnant because it's a heart attack in a paper cup. With 710 calories, 38g of fat (10 saturated), and 75g of carbs, poutine is one scary menu item! Not to mention that since it's fries, it frequently gets treated as a side dish so you're having something else with it! If you feel like you're missing out, try this satisfying meal, which you can enjoy as a side dish along with the Nutrisystem Flame Broiled Beef Patty if you like!


Vegetable Ideas:



Poutine:

3/4 cup butternut squash, cut into french fry shapes
1/4 cup beef gravy
1 oz shredded mozzerella cheese
sea salt, pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Arrange the squash on a french fry baking tray (like the one I use in my Cajun fries recipe) and spray with PAM Olive Oil spray. Bake for 20 minutes or until fries are browning. Top with gravy and shredded cheese and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until gravy is hot and cheese is melted.

Poutine purists please note that I didn't use cheese curds since I wasn't able to find any low fat/fat free ones. Of course if you can get those that would make the dish much more authentic! I highly recommend against substituting sweet potatoes or any vegetable with a lot of flavour into this recipe because it just wouldn't taste quite right as a savory dish this way. I may try it with something even milder like turnip or jicama, but it was definitely satisfying even with the butternut squash.

Counts as 2 vegetable servings, 1 dairy/protein, and 1 free food.

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you published this. I have a feeling you already published it, but for new readers, it never hurts to publish twice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you measure 3/4 cup butternut squash?? Is there a weigh measurement to use? I am trying this tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin- I actually can't do that either so I checked and the calories for 3/4 cup is 61 so I just found out how many grams I could have instead. Much easier! That is approximately 150 grams. I usually use all my veggie servings at dinner as these so I use 225 grams.

    Let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED IT! I just attempted to measure 3/4 cups but I will use the gram measurement next time. Made this for me and my BF and he LOVED it too!! :) Can't believe how tasty this is. Can't believe how tasty 1/4 cup of FF gravy is!!! I did have a problem making this crispy (baked for 40 minutes!)so I just figured this doesn't really crisp up. Thank you SO MUCH for all of these recipes. It has really helped me to stay on plan. Tomorrow morning I am attempting the McDonald's Breakfast Burrito/Dessert crepe :D

    ReplyDelete