This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

How Did I Get Fat?

It's such a hurtful word- even now, at 27 years old and down over 70lbs, I still flinch when I hear it or think it. But it's true- I was fat. I still am fat. But at least I'm on the road to getting healthy!

Today though, I really started to wonder how I got this way. To go a little off topic, I love Starbucks' frappuccinos. I don't drink coffee, so I always got the blended creme ones which are sky high in calories and sugar. I had not had a single one since I started Nutrisystem on February 1st.

However, I love pumpkin- one of my vices during my pregnancy was Dairy Queen's pumpkin pie Blizzards. When I saw Starbucks' advertising a Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino, I instantly started craving one. Finally, today, I gave into that craving- I figured I'd have one and be done with it, and get right back on the wagon tomorrow.

So you must be wondering, if I loved stuff like frappuccinos, why am I wondering how I got fat? Well, the answer is that I took one sip of it and didn't really like it. I felt stupid for spending $5 on it. I had a few more sips and realized that I wasn't enjoying it, and I wasn't getting my money back whether I drank it or not, so why bother. I threw it away.

That makes two times that I've gone off program- this drink, and the pizza I wrote about before. Both times, I've found that it didn't taste as good as I remembered, and I was really disappointed that I made a poor decision and didn't get anything for it. Taste is acquired, and I no longer have one for fatty, salty, sugary food. I'd much rather have something that is healthy and weight loss friendly.

Eating healthier has really changed my taste buds and the way that I enjoy food. The things I used to like, that I psychologically think I like, I don't actually seem to anymore. They just aren't worth it to me. And that's the biggest reason why I know I will be successful at losing the weight this time and how I'll keep it off; I just don't want those things anymore and wonder how I could have eaten so much of them that I got this far overweight.

Keep it in mind next time you have a craving- it probably doesn't taste as good as you remember!

2 comments:

  1. I found by eating the healthiest meal I can (while still enjoying it), and eating slow I consume less than I would if I don't make a conscious effort. Mindless eat in front of the television while chomping down on buffalo wings isn't the best thing to do.

    Weight loss so far: 50lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your weight loss! I agree that eating needs to be mindful and then it's more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete