This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New Ideas

I haven't tried any more new entrees yet but I do have some neat takes on meals I've already had that I wanted to share!


Italian Herb Flatbread Pizza (Dinner):



One of the things I used to love about Italian meals was having garlic breadsticks. I wasn't a big Olive Garden fan but I loved their breadsticks! Then I got a great idea- I made myself "pasta" with a spaghetti squash and topped it with green peppers, onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms, and saved a dairy for 1oz of cheese. Then I took an Italian Herb Flatbread pizza and brushed it with 1 tsp olive oil and fresh crushed garlic before warming it up. It was SO good and really kicked that craving! Maybe next time I will make dipping sauce with the oil and balsamic vinegar, or perhaps pesto. It's nice to have something a little different.

Keep in mind that the dieticians told me that the sauce and cheese are about 45 calories each. If you do track calories and choose to skip them, note that the entree will be 90 calories short. You could also use the cheese on the breadsticks if you wanted to, or on top of the pasta.


BBQ Sauce with Pork Wrap (Dinner):



This was just a quick fix- I used to make slow cooker BBQ pork with an Asian twist using hoisin sauce and ginger, among other items. I added a little diced ginger to the pork sauce while I was cooking it with peppers and onions, and then I put it on the wrap with a handful of broccoli slaw sprinkled with Asian Rice Wine Vinegar. It gave it a really great flavour and I loved the crunch- definitely more filling.


Grilled Chicken Breast (Dinner):



I'd written before about my Chicken Pizziola sandwich, and now I finally have a somewhat squished (since I toasted it in my Redi Set Go) photo to share with you. It is really good and definitely hits that craving.


Pancake Mix (Breakfast):



I really love my puff pan! On a suggestion from a commenter here, I tried my Cheesy Egg and Bacon biscuits with sausage instead of bacon, and I decided to make them puffs instead. As usual, the recipe made twice as many as are pictured but I get hungry so I usually eat the first batch! I really enjoyed this and it gave me an idea for another breakfast that I'm going to have to try soon. Just be careful not to overfill the wells since you still need to put the Egg Beaters on top and they'll spill out when the puffs rise if the puff well is too full- you can see mine were overfull.


Cinnamon Bun (Breakfast):



This looks really messy- I am probably not going to bother taking photos when I use Greek yogurt as a base because it's just not appealing looking.

I got this idea off the Nutrisystem boards. I cut up the Cinnamon Bun into little pieces and mixed them into a dairy serving of vanilla Greek yogurt and added a fruit serving of raisins, cinnamon, and Splenda Brown Sugar. It was really filling and I enjoyed it.


Chocolate Chip Scone (Breakfast):

No photo since it lacked visual appeal, but it was good enough to share! I cut the scone into little cubes and mixed it into vanilla Greek yogurt with a fruit serving of strawberries. There was so much breakfast and I loved the way it was creamy with chocolate and strawberry- a winning combination. And it seemed like so much!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found your blog. My husband and I have just started (we just finished our first week) and find your info and advice very encouraging and helpful. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a puff pan and where can you buy one. I've been doing NS for awhile but just have it the plain boring way. Sooo glad I found your blog and your recipes. they all sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, glad to hear you are enjoying my blog! I use an Xpress Redi Set Go which I bought online, but several people have found regular puff pans on eBay or at Bed, Bath, and Beyond cheaply.

    ReplyDelete