This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, March 15, 2024

45 Strong Challenge: Day 12

 Oh man. Woke up this morning... and I don't want to go to the gym. Guess what I'm doing, though? Tomorrow is my active recovery day so I'll get to rest then. Seriously though, I could skip today but since I was chatting with someone at the gym during Wednesday's class and we agreed to work out together today for the team class, I kinda have to go even if I don't want to. Hey, I'll take the excuse to do the thing I should do!

I generally don't like this one day though. Every other day sometimes we share stations with people, but how quickly you do things or if you need breaks or whatnot doesn't affect them; everyone is doing the reps at their own speed. For the Valor workout, you have a goal to accomplish as a team, and then you finish out the remaining time doing an individual challenge. To be fair, everyone at the gym I have met has been perfectly nice regardless of fitness level, but I can't get past the anxiety that I'm letting my teammate down if I can't do things as quickly as they can, or if I need to take a break. So it makes me a little uncomfortable even if I haven't had any bad experiences, especially since people won't always tell you if you are in fact hindering their progress, right? But the man I was sharing a station with on Wednesday said he'd be back today and he said he would be my partner again today if I wanted so I guess I am going and doing my best! Not that I would otherwise. If I'm paying the fee to do this challenge and to be able to take unlimited classes this month, I'm darn well going to make use of the gym!




I did:

  • 49 minutes of walking, and 45 minutes at F45 for a total of 94 active minutes. Today was the Valor workout where you have a partner and have a team goal for reps on the main cardio exercise before switching to an individual weights exercise. It was killer and my partner and I were both dripping sweat by the end of it! 
  • drank 3 litres of water!
  • did my dental care!
  • 18 minutes of Spanish on Duolingo. 
I was on plan today foodwise, although I'm putting some thought into whether I need to increase my calories higher due to all this exercise. I'm thinking of trying for a target of 1700-1800 daily. Still not quite sure where I fit because I know that with my history of previous weight loss and gain, my metabolism probably is slower than the average person with my stats and so if I just follow the online calculators I might be eating too much. Also, I've felt pretty satiated most days with my current level of consumption. Maybe I'll try it and go from there.

I'm too tired to journal everything I ate today though- who would have thought the daily journal would also be something that feels like another obligation??

But here is one pretty awesome recipe swap when you want something that tastes like a pub meal but without the calories!

Popcorn Shrimp & Chopped Salad:


570g raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
8 tbsp plain greek yogurt
300g spring mix
1 medium bell pepper, diced
227g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, cut into half moons
113g carrots, julienned
2 tbsp Cajun spice
4 tbsp sweet chili sauce (use the G Hughes to cut calories and sugar!)
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp ketchup (you can use sugarfree if you like)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil

Preheat your oven to 450F. Put the shrimp in a bowl and pat dry with paper towels. Toss shrimp with the greek yogurt until coated then add half the Cajun seasoning. Put panko in another bowl and mix with the rest of the Cajun spice. Toss shrimp with the panko and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown, 14-15 minutes.
Stir together the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, sweet chili sauce, and 1/2 tsp garlic. Set aside.
Whisk together remaining Greek yogurt, vinegar, and olive oil, and add vegetables to the dressing. Toss together.
Divide salad between three plates and serve with popcorn shrimp on the side, with sauce for dipping. Enjoy! 361 calories, 1.5g fat, 54g carbs, 32g protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment