This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Friday, March 8, 2024

45 Strong Challenge: Day 5

 Thankfully, today doesn't feel as frustrating as yesterday even if I'm tired again. I'm looking forward to the weekend!

If anyone is curious, I start writing these posts in the morning and update as the day goes on and I complete my task list for the day, and I don't publish it until the evening. So if it seems like a bit of a mishmash chronologically, that's why!

I was feeling pretty good today until I got to the gym and saw the video for today. OOF. I've never done the Valor workout before and I was second guessing my decision to go! You get paired with someone else and you have to meet rep count targets as a team. And of course I was paired with this big strong guy and I was so anxious the whole time that I'd be letting him down because I'm slower and can't do things as quickly as he can. But all I can do is my best, so I tried. Man I thought I was going to die though!

Then I had to do a lot of unexpected walking and now I'm just exhausted. I'm glad tomorrow is my active recovery day!


I did:

  • 98 minutes of walking plus 40 minutes in class at the gym. Today was the Valor workout at F45 which is a mixed cardio/resistance workout and it was brutal. Also, my son wanted to play some baseball so I got 2 more active minutes there too! Total of 140 active minutes and I am SO done.
  • drank 3 litres of water!
  • did my dental care!
  • 16 minutes of Spanish on Duolingo. 

Today breakfast was French toast again, since I tend to eat the same thing for a few days until I get tired of it. Delicious! 200 calories, 1g fat, 32g carbs, 14g protein.

Lunch was the cottage pie leftover from earlier in the week. It reheats really well actually! 425 calories, 24g fat, 30g carbs, 23g protein.

Afternoon snack was two Pillers turkey pepperettes. 100 calories, 8g fat, 1g carbs, 9g protein.

Dinner was fabulous! 


Chorizo Taco Salad:



250g chorizo sausage, uncased
125g baby spinach
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp ranch powder seasoning
1 medium sweet potato, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1 sweet pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp chili powder/cumin mix

Mix the yogurt and ranch powder and stir well. Chill in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Preheat your air fryer to 425 degrees. Shake the sweet potato with 1/2 tbsp chili cumin spice mix, and if desired, either 1/2 tbsp olive oil or cooking spray. Follow your air fryer instructions, stirring the potatoes partway through to ensure they are all evenly cooked through, approximately 16-18 minutes.
Set a medium sized frying pan to medium heat, and then add the chorizo and remaining spice mix. Add onion and sweet pepper, and cook for 4-6 minutes or until chorizo is no longer pink.
In a large serving bowl, mix together the baby spinach, tomato, and ranch dressing. Divide salad onto two plates, and top each with half the chorizo and veggies, and the cheese. Enjoy!
This recipe is a great way to enjoy low glycemic carbs and have a really rich and flavourful salad! If you like, crunch a tortilla chip or two on top for some crispiness! 439 calories, 22.5g fat, 25g carbs, 30.5g protein.

And for dessert, I had another protein snack plate from earlier this week to use up the leftovers! 360 calories, 23g fat, 19.5g carbs, 19g protein.

That brings my daily total to 1524 calories, 78.5g fat, 84.5g carbs, 95.5g protein.

It's been a day- time for me to get some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment