This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

45 Strong Challenge: Day 3

 


45 days really does seem like a lot... that picture has so many empty squares! But one day at a time, I'll get there. 

My legs are a little sore today from the lifting yesterday. There was one particular exercise that I felt was a little more difficult on my body than the others. Hopefully if I keep drinking this much water I won't have as much muscle soreness. 

I did:

  • 53 minutes of walking plus 53 minutes in class at the gym for a total of 106 active minutes. Today was the Triple Threat workout at F45 which is cruel, cruel cardio. They also did a 15 min bonus class at the end to help meet the 60 min requirement. My watch says it's not that long but it sure feels like it!
  • drank 3.5 litres of water!
  • did my dental care!
  • 18 minutes of Spanish on Duolingo. 
 With all the exercise I'm doing, I am less worried about hitting the high end of my calorie range, so today I planned to have things I really like. With the intense workout schedule, I have less

Breakfast was a recipe I've shared before but always love it for its decadence!

Cherry French Toast: 


2 slices whole wheat Weight Watchers bread
100g liquid egg whites
dash of vanilla, sprinkle of cinnamon
your choice of 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup or 1/4 cup sugarfree cherry pie filling!
optional dab of light whipped cream

Heat a large pan over medium. Spray with cooking spray when hot. Add vanilla and cinnamon to the egg whites. Soak the bread in the egg white mixture, and pan fry until crisp, 3-4 minutes per side. Drizzle with your choice of toppings! Yes, you can use sugarfree syrup but personally, even as a diabetic, I think it's an abomination. You don't need very much real syrup for a couple of pieces of French toast and it's well worth it. If you prefer to avoid the sugar, opt for some sugarfree pie filling in your favourite fruit, or make your own no sugar added fruit syrup by cooking down berries with a little bit of your favourite sweetener. You could even use no sugar added jam if you like! As prepared above with maple syrup, this recipe has 200 calories, 1g fat, 32g carbs, 14g protein.

I didn't have a morning snack today since I was walking to the gym, but I made sure to have something easy lined up for lunch because I knew as soon as I sat down that I wasn't getting back up again anytime soon!


Lunch was a bit of a splurge but worth it!

Easy Cheesy Quiche:


2 Tenderflake pie crusts made with vegetable shortening
12 large eggs
1 cup shredded cheese
4 oz of your favourite protein, cooked (diced ham, turkey bacon, shredded chicken, smoked salmon etc)
your favourite veggies, small diced (I like spinach, onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers, but broccoli is great with ham and cheddar for example!)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Heat a pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray when hot. Add your veggies and some pepper, and cook until they are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. This may take a while depending on what veggies you choose.
Place your pie crusts on a baking tray. Add the veggies inside the crusts, and spread them evenly. Top with your protein option, and add 1/4 cup shredded cheese to each crust.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and add black pepper. Depending on what add ins you chose, you can vary your spicing as well. Put half the egg mixture into each pie crust, and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese on each. Bake for 40 minutes or until filling is set and crust is brown.
The nice thing about quiche is that it's a blank canvas- use your favourite add ins and it will be great! Try different variations like ham and Swiss with mushrooms, smoked salmon and cream cheese with fresh dill and onions, turkey bacon and cheddar with peppers, etc.

I did a lot of research on pie crusts and honestly, the Tenderflake crust really isn't that bad of an option. You can choose to go crustless if you don't want the carbs and calories, but I do like the flavour personally and it's worth it for me. It is good though with or without the crust! Depending on your hunger levels, you can cut each pie into 1/8 or 1/4 pieces, and serve with a side salad. I decided to have a big piece post workout, so my lunch was 413 calories, 27g of fat, 21g carbs, and 19g protein.


I decided to give one of the viral TikTok ideas a try for afternoon snack!

Cottage Cheese Pizza Dip:


2 cups 2% cottage cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup marinara sauce
1 oz turkey pepperoni slices, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp italian seasoning

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a blender, pulse the cottage cheese, parmesan, and spices until smooth. Take an oven safe dish and layer the cottage cheese mixture, then marinara sauce, and top with the shredded mozzarella and pepperoni slices. Bake for 15 minutes, and then broil on low for 2 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with your choice of dippers like bell pepper slices, crackers, pita chips, or just enjoy it with a spoon! Makes 6 snack sized servings, or 4 more generous portions.

Anyone who loves lasagna knows how deliciously cheesy hot cottage cheese can be. While I wouldn't say this will kick a pizza craving, it really is both delicious and high protein for a relatively low calorie count, especially if you choose to eat it with bell pepper slices or other veggies. I had mine with pepper slices so I could enjoy a bigger portion, so my afternoon snack clocked in at 239 calories, 12.5g fat, 6.5g carbs, and 24g protein.

I wasn't feeling like more work in the kitchen today, so I went for quick and made my Tiny Tacos for dinner (recipe in link!), which made my dinner 495 calories, 27g fat, 31.5g carbs, and 32g protein.  

For dessert, again I was looking for quick and easy, so I just went for a chopped apple with PB2. If you don't have PB2, you can substitute 1 tbsp of your favourite nut butter instead but I preferred to have the larger serving! That brings my dessert to 185 calories, 3g fat, 35g carbs, 10.5g protein.

The total for my day was 1532 calories, 70.5g fat, 126g carbs, 99.5g protein. I wasn't hungry for more, but given my activity level, I probably should have squeezed in an extra snack somewhere to up my calories a bit. Maybe I'll have a late night snack of 1oz Brie as a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment