This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, March 7, 2024

45 Strong Challenge: Day 4

Well, it looks like even at this point in my journey, I'm not immune to the 3rds blues that I've written about before. But, this is a new program, even if I could look at it as just another iteration of what I've been doing all along. I've been exercising regularly for a year! I've been staying generally in my calorie range, with the occasional day for indulging. So why is this still affecting me?

I don't know. I could hazard a guess that it's because this challenge is very structured and so it's frustrating me. I definitely don't like drinking this much water- I woke up feeling like if I had another mouthful I was going to scream. My body is sore- actually more so than usual. Normally I do two F45 workouts a week, and I've already done three with no rest day.

Realistically, it doesn't matter why. The 3rds blues is a known phenomena, as annoying as that is, so I just have to power through it. Minor concession; I'm having a diet soda with my breakfast and resentfully eyeing that first litre of water. I'm sure by the time I get to the gym (I'm writing this part in the morning!), I'll be grateful for it and then I'll be playing catch up but it's okay. Maybe I'll add in some green tea later for some variety. I don't generally like water flavourings though.

If it was always this hard, I probably wouldn't be able to keep it up. Honestly, while I know I generally need to drink more water, drinking this much means I'm going to the bathroom all the time which is annoying. I feel like 4 litres is just too much. With the Ozempic, I have less room in my stomach so adding all the extra liquids means that I feel full more often, and while you'd think that would be ideal, I do need to keep up at least a reasonable amount of calories given how much I'm exercising. I recalculated my TDEE (calories needed daily) based on heavy exercise which they called 6-7 days per week, and it estimated me at 2680 calories to maintain, which means I should be eating at least 1680 calories and I've been below that. As I've said before, eating less isn't always ideal. It's great if you're eating too much, but if you're eating less than your body needs to function then it's not going to be helpful long term even if you do lose weight right away. It can slow your metabolism and make it harder to lose. In my case, it will make it harder to realize muscle gains from my weight training if I'm not eating enough protein and calories overall to build new muscle.



Well, I made it through the day!!! One day at a time, right? And I got an endorphin boost after the gym so I am glad I dragged myself there. Definitely feeling better than I was when I started this blog post.

I did:

  • 53 minutes of walking plus 40 minutes in class at the gym for a total of 93 active minutes. Today was the Two Fold workout at F45 which is a weight training day, you choose whether to work on upper or lower body. Since I was already doing walking and my thighs are still sore from earlier in the week, I chose upper body. We did progressive overload today and I reached a new milestone with my dumbbells! Super proud of myself.
  • drank 3.5 litres of water!
  • did my dental care!
  • 18 minutes of Spanish on Duolingo. 

When I'm frustrated, it's more difficult to eat sometimes because I'm tired and don't feel like I have the energy to both plan and make something. Fortunately, I have lots of leftovers from earlier in the week to bail me out today!

Breakfast was a variant on my basic Breakfast Sandwich, where I toasted a whole wheat English muffin but instead of making it into a sandwich I served it open faced. Each half of the muffin was topped with two slices of deli ham, half a slice of monterey jack cheese, sliced red onions, and a sunny side up egg with a runny yolk. Delicious! 399 calories, 18.5g fat, 27g carbs, 33g protein.

It has been tougher to have a morning snack on days that I go to the lunch hour gym class, so I wasn't able to squeeze one in today. I'll try to improve that, but the difficulty is that while I have to eat before I work out or I'll get nauseous, I don't want to eat too heavily right before I go in. I do get nauseous when I work out as intensely as I do at F45 and the last thing I want to do is vomit. I have never vomited on Ozempic although I do occasionally (less often now) get nausea as a side effect. It seems like people either absolutely have to eat before they exercise or absolutely must have an empty stomach to avoid side effects, with very little in between. I have to have something in my stomach or the nausea is much worse.

After I staggered home from my class (boy I am feeling whiny today!), it was time for lunch! I just grabbed a piece of leftover quiche from yesterday. 413 calories, 27g fat, 21g carbs, 19g protein.

It's been a busy day so for afternoon snack I had a Black Diamond Combo with cheddar and almonds. Nothing wrong with having a day that doesn't involve a lot of cooking! 170 calories, 12g fat, 10g carbs, 8g protein

Again, I was looking for quick and easy for dinner, so I splurged and had a PC Blue Menu Turkey Burger on a bun with a slice of smoked cheddar, and chopped up a potato for some home fries in the air fryer. Honestly, I think fast food burgers taste too greasy and even frozen ones taste better most of the time. Love my air fryer- no oil needed for crispy fries! 540 calories, 17g fat, 60g carbs, and 36g protein. Obviously if you wanted to lower the calorie count here, you could swap out the french fries for roasted carrots or other veggies, remove the cheese, or have a lettuce wrap instead of a bun, but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself- and where are you going to get a burger and fries for 540 calories? 

I have some bananas on life support and I don't feel like doing any baking, so quick and easy dessert here I come! I chopped the banana into coins and put them in a bowl, and topped with a scoop of Liberte vanilla Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of sugarfree caramel sauce. Tastes super decadent and won't spike your blood sugar! 235 calories, 0g fat, 43g carbs, 18g protein.

That brings my total for the day to 1757 calories, 74.5g fat, 161g carbs, and 114g protein. That's a little higher carb than a normally go, but it still falls within balanced macros and I'm not unhappy with my choices. I don't believe in restricting food groups, and I've been working out hard lately. And all my food today was delicious!

I survived the 3rd blues today... onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment