This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nearly Done...

I meant to be finished reviewing all the shelf stable Nutrisystem entrees before the first of the year, but unfortunately a few photos were lost so I needed to reorder the meals. I'll get them posted as soon as I can!

I've also been told that there are four new meals coming out very soon- from what I've been told there will be scrambled eggs for breakfast (maybe similar to the discontinued ones but I am not sure), a peanut butter and jam lunch bar, lunch Italian wedding soup, and popcorn for dessert. I have no idea about the time frame but it would be nice to have some new choices! I'll make sure to order them as soon as they are available so I can review them here.

As usual, Nutrisystem outdid itself on this Mexican entree. I really enjoy their Mexican style meals because they definitely don't taste like diet food. Give this one a try if you want a cheesy, filling lunch!

Black Beans & Rice (Lunch):



I got this recipe idea from Nutrisystem's new Recipe Center- check it out if you haven't yet! There are lots of great recipes in there.

Mexican Pizza:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Black Beans & Rice
1 Flatout wrap
romaine lettuce, torn
diced tomato pieces
1 oz light Tex Mex cheese
2 tbsp fat free sour cream
jalapeno peppers (optional)

Add boiling water to the Black Beans & Rice entree (be careful not to put too much water in this one!) and set aside, covered. Put the tortilla in a bowl or a taco shell pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until set. Place the lettuce and tomato in the bowl and top with the NS entree. Sprinkle with cheese and sour cream, and dig in!

This was really good! I'd like it to be a little spicier so next time I am going to add green onions, a little hot sauce, and diced jalapenos I think. I had a hard time getting the Black Beans & Rice to the correct consistency- I added water and covered but it didn't "set". I had to microwave it for a really long time before it finally turned into more of a solid than a soup. I think next time I am going to use a lot less water.

Normally I don't like having salad for lunch, but this was big, cheesy, and gooey enough to keep me satisfied! Counts as a lunch entree, 2 dairy/protein servings, a vegetable serving, and a free food.

Wait a sec- TWO dairy servings? And what if you don't have a carb to use the wrap, you ask? Well, that's the awesome thing about Flatout wraps. They have 9g of protein each and only 90 calories so they actually fit the requirements for a dairy/protein serving. The carbs are still a little high so I wouldn't recommend you do this often (and you can certainly make this in a real bowl if you don't want a taco bowl) but it goes really nicely with this meal in my opinion and is worth giving up an extra dairy serving.

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

5 comments:

  1. I love your recipes !
    Come see me and follow too :)
    Xo
    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find Flat Out wraps? I'm in Hamilton and all the chain grocers around here (Metro, Loblaws, etc) seem to carry regular tortilla wraps that are neither high protein nor low cal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, actually, I beg friends from the US to send them to me! But if you don't have anyone who can help you, you can order them from www.netrition.com which also has some other great products. Shipping here isn't cheap but if you get a big box it can definitely be worth it. I love these Flatouts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for joining mailbox monday - i'm a confirmed email subscriber. (late but i always follow thru!!)

    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    PS i start the nutrisystem blogger program in a few weeks. excited and nervous- you've done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lot it. My hubby is a mexican food fanatic so I will have to try this one on him. Your newest follwer here. Hope you will stop by mine at www.skinnyonadime.com

    ReplyDelete