This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Answer to Wendy's

So on the weekend, I had a friend come over. He was nice enough to bring me a sub for lunch but stopped for himself at Wendy's. And I gotta tell you, those fries smelled SO good. I haven't had "real" fries in almost a year. And honestly, I don't really miss them. A lot of stuff that I thought I enjoyed just doesn't taste good enough to be worth what it does to your body. I seem to recall feeling kind of dull and gross after eating fast food anyway most of the time.

But this time... the smell really had me. He also had a cup of chili with him which made me remember how I used to love making chili fries at Wendy's. So of course, I had to come up with a way to enjoy them again!


Chili with Beans (Dinner):



Chili Fries:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Chili with Beans (or Vegetarian Chili)
1 serving Cajun Fries
diced onion, tomatoes, green peppers
1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes in juice
chopped green onions for garnish
sour cream (optional)
chili paste (optional)

I started off with a serving of my Cajun Fries, except I didn't add the chili powder and instead I did add a little bit of sea salt. While they were baking, I sprayed a pan with PAM olive oil spray and cooked the vegetables until they started to soften. I dumped the chili on top and let the dish simmer until bubbling. Add the chili paste if desired and stir well.

When everything's ready, put the fries in a bowl and pour the chili on top. Add your sour cream and green onions and dig in!

This was SO good and definitely took care of that craving. Who needs fatty fried potatoes when I can have yummy vegetables that taste like this?

Count it as a dinner entree, 3 vegetable servings, and a free food if you use the sour cream. You may also choose to count it as 1 vegetable serving and 1 carb serving if you prefer- butternut squash is a starchy vegetable so it is either 2 veggie servings or 1 carb, according to Dietary Services, as long as you limit your quantity.


Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

7 comments:

  1. Love the chili fries. I"m your newest follower and found you at whip it wednesdays would love to see you following at http://imamomnotaprofessional.blogspot.com/
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummmy
    New Follower from the Green Mama Blog Hop http://crazy4fluff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd take your version over Wendys' any ol' day. :) And congratulations on your weight loss. I need to really get serious about that myself.

    Hi, I'm a new follower (GFC krishackney) from the Green Mama Blog Hop. I'd love it if you could follow me back at my new (not Mama Needs a Nap)blog: mamaswears.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butternut squash is so hard to peel! I love it but it is a pain to prepare. Do you have a secret to this that you might want to share? Thanks, Helga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helga- not really, I'm afraid! I just use a sharp knife and cut the peel off. I waste some squash that way but it's faster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, a small Wendy's chili is nutritionally very similar to NS', and actually has fewer calories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To Anonymous 7:22. You are correct. Wendy's small Chili has 220 calories, 7g of fat, 870mg sodium, 22g of carbs, and 18g of protein.

    Nutrisystem's Chili with Beans is 230 calories, 6g of fat, 800mg sodium, 27g of carbs, and 18g of protein.

    You absolutely could use Wendy's chili if you prefer the flavour and want to save space on your auto delivery for other items.

    I wouldn't recommend using their fries, though! :)

    ReplyDelete