This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Recipes

So I've finished four days of the 30 Day Shred. The first few days I was so sore afterwards and it never really went away. I joked that I'd rather be beaten with sticks but really I was glad that I could feel something- it means the workouts are doing their job. I stupidly forgot to take measurements of my body before I started because I would have liked to see what kind of effect the program is having. Oh well.

Today was a little easier- I felt like the workout was hard and I was sweating like crazy, but it wasn't as brutal as it was when I first started. Maybe in a few days I'll be ready to move to level 2, the intermediate workout. But I can tell you that I definitely recommend this program- I've taken a peek at the scale and it's working! There have been moments where I had to keep going on sheer force of will because my muscles were turning to jelly, but I made a commitment to you all and I'm going to honour it.

I also have a few awesome new recipes to share with you! Definitely give these a try.


Blueberry Muffin (Breakfast):



I like blueberry muffins and I've enjoyed this entree, but I haven't been ordering it as much recently because I like other things more. After I tried this recipe, I've added it back to my auto delivery!

Blueberry Bread Pudding:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Blueberry Muffin
1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp fresh blueberries (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Splenda
dash of cinnamon

Spray a baking dish with PAM and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Tear the muffin into little pieces and put them in the dish. In a bowl, mix together all the other ingredients and pour over the muffin pieces. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

I always pictured bread pudding to be like rice pudding which I think is gross, so I hadn't even considered recipes like this. Then I realized it was actually more like French toast that is baked in the oven. Well, I'm all over that! I tried this and it was really good- I'm definitely going to have it again. I am wondering if a little ricotta cheese baked on top would go nicely with it- I'll have to try that next time. I put a little SF maple syrup on top and it was a great breakfast. It counts as your entree + dairy serving.


I got this recipe from Hungry Girl and it is really tasty and so filling! I definitely recommend you give it a try if you love seafood.

Flex Meals (Lunch):



Hungry Girl Seafood Chowder:

1 29oz carton of no salt added chicken broth (believe me, you won't notice missing salt)
One 14.75-ounce can cream-style corn
Two 6-ounce cans crabmeat, thoroughly drained
One 6-ounce frozen fillet mild white fish (such as tilapia or cod)
2 cups (about 7 ounces) frozen cooked ready-to-eat shrimp
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
black pepper to taste

Place all ingredients except potato flakes and sour cream in the crock pot, and mix well. The fish fillet goes in whole. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir to break up the fish fillet. Add potato flakes and sour cream, and stir very well. If you like season to taste with salt and black pepper.

Serving (1 generous cup): 138 calories, 1.5g fat, 553mg sodium, 16.5g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 5g sugars, 14.5g protein.

This is a great lunch substitute! I love seafood and try to use it for my protein servings as often as possible, but it's nice to be able to enjoy it for a meal, too. If you are on Nutrisystem's Select program, you are able to get seafood meals. I hope I will be able to try them sometime soon (they don't ship the frozen meals to Canada, unfortunately).

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

9 comments:

  1. Susie, thank you so much for stopping by!! I just joined the Nutrisystem Nation right after Christmas and I've wondered about so many of the meals... and now here I've found the expert! I've been making my way down your sidebar and I love that you give your opinion on so many of the options, as well as variations and recipes. I'm definitely going to have to stop back to see how your journey continues! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Just saw your comment - thanks! If I'm ever non-lazy and decide to do something with the meals instead of just eating them as is, I will definitely head here and give you the credit. I've especially been wondering about the pancake mix, so now I have a whole list of ways to make it better... but man, I want that puff pan that you have! Those pictures are yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipes! I'm looking forward to reading your posts! Following from Follow Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup sounds delicious and I've copied your recipe so I can give it a try. Best wishes towards your healthier goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 day Shred... Yeah, I've tried it. & any routine that has cardio in it almost kills me, gotta love having asthma! *tears* I, too, having been trying to get healthy... I've made a lot of changes in my life, but I had to. I have Pancolitis & had a pretty big cancer scare this past year.... Yeah, so... I'm gonna join ya & we can do this together. ;-) I'm a new follower from the Fun Follow Friday Blog Hop. Here's a link to my blog if you like: Randomly Speaking, Poetically Thinking, Simply Me...: (Cookie-Cutter) Cliché’s...: "I’m not a fan of (cookie-cutter) cliché’s. I don’t think that everything fits into a nicely, neatly organized BOX and there is always an ex..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - you're not kidding about the stomach rumbling - heading for the fridge! Following from blog hop! wordsinsync.blogspot.com Shah, X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I came across your blog at Still on the Verge Blog Hop! I am now a follower, even though I live in Sydney Australia and never heard of Nutrisystem, but we do have a similar program. I am also working on my fitness and health this year, so we do have something in common:)I haven't blogged about it yet though:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read up on a lot of these recipes!

    Following from Friendly Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, that breakfast looks so good!

    I love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete