This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NEW Items!

I was so excited when I opened my box yesterday and saw the NEW items! Even with all the different recipes I use, it is definitely nice to have some new options available.

Here is what I think about the new entrees.

Scrambled Eggs with Vegetables (Breakfast):



Since it wasn't too long ago that I tried the Nourish Scrambled Eggs, I was expecting something pretty similar. I was surprised to see that this entree comes in a packet like the Pancake Mix instead of a paper cup like the old egg breakfast.

Normally I'd add Egg Beaters to this to use my dairy/protein but I wanted to taste this one exactly as is, so I followed the directions for stovetop prep, and I was pleasantly surprised by how yummy it was! I really didn't care for the Egg Frittata but these Scrambled Eggs have a great sausage-y flavour (while still being on the vegetarian menu) and texture. The seasoning is very flavourful, and I loved the little potato chunks. It is also much more filling than most of the other breakfasts, at 12g of protein. Although I am a big fan of the pastry-type breakfasts, I'll be reordering this item.


Peanut Butter & Jelly Bar (Lunch):



Not being a big fan of grape jelly, I wasn't really expecting to like this item so I only ordered one to review. When I took the first bite, it was overwhelmingly sweet, rather like a jelly candy with a hint of peanut butter. The aftertaste is quite strong and I decided not to finish it. If you like grape jelly, your opinion of this item might be different. I think I'll either stick to the Chocolate Peanut Butter Lunch Bar when I need a PB fix, or just make myself a flex lunch on light bread with PB2 and sugarfree strawberry jam.


Italian-Style Wedding Soup (Lunch):



When I first opened the soup cup, I was a little surprised to see that the soup looked rather gelatinous- in fact, it poured out into my bowl as a solid, cup shaped lump! I was a little apprehensive but decided to go ahead and microwave it and see what happened.

Fortunately, just like the Flame Broiled Beef Patty- it turned into something yummy!



I really enjoyed this soup. It wasn't bland at all- very flavourful. I loved the seasoning blend NS used and the tiny meatballs were very satisfying. I was full after a cup of this soup but thought fondly of having it again sometime soon. In my opinion, this one's a winner- no doctoring up necessary.


Butter Flavored Popcorn (Dessert):



When I first heard that Nutrisystem was coming out with popcorn as a dessert, I confess that my reaction was disappointment. I eat popcorn all the time as a free food, so why would I want to "waste" a dessert on it when I could have both? But, I figured I'd give it a fair chance, so it was the first thing I tried out of my new BBB.

I poured it into a bowl and it was a fairly generous serving- definitely larger than my free food 1 cup popped, and it smelled wonderful and buttery! I tried it, and to me it tastes just like movie popcorn- salty and a little buttery. I really enjoyed it! If you have a popcorn craving, having it as a free food can be a nice light snack, but this dessert definitely tastes like cheating. So you'll have to decide on your own if it's worth "giving up" a dessert to have this instead of using a free food, but definitely give it a try before you make that decision. There are going to be a lot of these on my next auto delivery!

Overall, I am really impressed by these new items. When I was told the names of the entrees coming out, I wasn't all that excited but I'm really happy to have them as part of the menu now. I can't wait to see what other new items Nutrisystem brings out this year, because these were pretty darn good.

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

4 comments:

  1. Susie, I'm fairly new to Nutrisystem and a little confused at your mention of "free foods" and "flex meals." I don't think I have seen anything about either of these in the nutrisystem materials, am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claire- this is one of the things that I believe the NS literature needs to make clearer.

    A free food is any food that is 20 calories or less. You can lick lard if you want to LOL. Most people use them for condiments or little extra snacks if they are hungry. You are permitted 3 free foods daily but they can't be all at once.

    Flex meals means you are making a meal with your own food that fits the Nutrisystem requirements. If you are interested in getting a copy of the flex meal planner, you can either call Nutrisystem Counselling and ask for the Day Off Guide or you can email me and I'll forward you a copy of mine.

    How are you enjoying Nutrisystem so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susie, I'll call them! I was a little surprised at the lack of literature about the diet that came with the food. I've just completed my first two weeks and I am pretty happy with it! Some of the food takes a little getting used to, but my weight loss has actually been really great and I don't really feel all that restricted. I don't think I have ever been on a diet for two weeks and been this successful or content. I've been enjoying your blog a lot, you have a lot of wonderful ideas! Thanks so much for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire- so glad to hear that you are doing well on the program! Keep it up!

    If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or you can always call Counselling 24/7.

    ReplyDelete