This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Party Favourites

If you go through my recipe page, there are several items that would be great to serve as appetizers for your Super Bowl party- just cut them into smaller servings so that multiple people can enjoy them, and watch your serving sizes! Things like my Portabella Mushroom Pizzas, Jalapeno Cheese Poppers, Macaroni Salad, or my Chicken Quesadilla.

One thing I always used to serve at my parties were mini quiche. They're cute, tasty, and appropriate whether you are having a brunch or a dinner party. Since the crust is one of my favourite parts, I assumed that these would be permanently off the menu. I was surprised and delighted to stumble across this recipe from the Biggest Loser Cookbook that could be easily adapted to make a great breakfast or a plate of delicious appetizers.

Flex Meals (Breakfast):




Asparagus Mini Quiches:

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup + 3 tbsp Egg Beaters
2 tsp Dijon mustard
6 whole wheat tortillas (not low carb- they'll get soggy and not crisp!)
4oz shredded cheddar cheese
6 medium asparagus spears, chopped into rounds
salt and pepper to taste

Spray a muffin tin with Pam butter spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small pan, sautee the onions and garlic in PAM until the onion is sweating. In a bowl, mix the milk, Egg Beaters, mustard, and salt and pepper. Use a 3 1/4 inch cookie cutter (or a drinking glass if you don't have one) to cut circles from the tortillas. Fit them into the muffin tin. Divide the onions, asparagus, and cheese evenly among the tortilla cups and pour the egg mixture over top. Bake for 22 minutes or until the tortilla shells are crisp and lightly browned.

My husband tried one and he says they don't taste low fat at all- he said he'd definitely eat them.

If you count calories, make sure to account for the portions of the tortillas that you don't eat (or you can go ahead and eat them if you want). I weighed mine before and then weighed the scraps after to see what actually went into the recipe. This recipe serves four people three mini quiche each and counts as a flex breakfast entrée of 1 Powerfuel + 1 SmartCarb (don't forget to add any of your required add ins for a complete breakfast). 166 calories, 17g of carbs, 1g of fat, and 16g of protein. Or enjoy them as appetizers at only ~55 calories each!

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the progress with Nutrisystem. I just started as a Nutrisystem Canada Blogger and today is day one for me! I have been looking through your blog and so inspired!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see the Canadian Blogger program is growing! I hope Day One is going well for you. If I can help you at all feel free to ask.

    I'd be happy to trade links with you if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving all of your reviews and recipes! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete