This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tres Hurras Mexico!

I've said it before and I'll say it again- try everything twice before you give up on it or you may realize you're missing out! Maybe your taste buds have changed or maybe you just didn't like the way it was prepared the first time, and the second time it will knock your socks off!


Southwest Style Chicken Wrap (Dinner):



Mexican Pizza:

1 pkg Nutrisystem Southwest Style Chicken Wrap
1 tbsp roasted red pepper hummus
chopped onions and bell pepper
1 oz shredded light Tex-Mex cheese

Open the tortilla package and heat in the microwave for 10 seconds before attempting to unfold it. When it's warm, unfold it carefully and put it on a baking tray. Spread the hummus on the tortilla and top with the wrap filling. Add your vegetables and sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Cut into slices and enjoy!

I like a thicker "crust" to my pizza, so I substituted a Weight Watcher's whole wheat pita instead of the tortilla. If you choose to substitute out, follow the NS description of a carb serving, 80-120 calories, 15g of carbs. The included tortilla is 80 calories (per Nutrisystem Dietary Services) if you are counting calories and wish to substitute out. The hummus is your fat serving (~45 calories, 5g of fat), and I saved a dairy serving for the cheese. You may wish to use red bell pepper for a more authentic taste but I prefer green.

One thing I often think we miss out on when on a weight loss program is really gooey, messy food. It seems like most of the time, those are the items that are awful for us. Well, make sure you have a napkin when you eat this and a fork to pick the pieces off your plate- it will satisfy your gooey meal craving!

I read about food pairings in my Women's Health magazine and I found an online article that discusses it. Some foods complement each other well so your body is better able to absorb the nutrients. And if it happens to taste as great as roasted red pepper hummus, well then! :) Because of mass production, vegetables and fruits are becoming less nutritious as well, so we need to get all the nutrients that are available!

I am a little disappointed that I just submitted my order yesterday for January because I don't have any more of these and this dinner was awesome! I enjoyed it much more than I did just eating it on the wrap like I did before. Oh well- I have enough things to make that I can wait for a little while!

Disclosure: This post was written by me and was not edited by anyone. The opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own and have not been influenced in any way. Nutrisystem Canada is providing their food and program to me free of charge for my weekly updates. I was not compensated for writing this post.

4 comments:

  1. You are inspiring me to try Nutrisystem again. I did twice before, once in 1982 ( lost a ton of weight at a walk in center) and then about 6 years ago, but did not follow through because I did not like the food. My problem is that we like to eat out and I have to fix dinner for my husband while I prepare my Nutrisystem food. How do you incorporate your family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous- I would have loved to see one of those walk in centers! I actually prefer doing it this way at home but it would have been neat.

    I like to eat out, too. I haven't stopped eating out by being on Nutrisystem- however, I have changed what I order in restaurants. After all, the goal of the program isn't to eat NS forever, it's to learn how to incorporate "real" food back into your life and change your relationship to food. Once you get your mindset changed, it's a lot easier to stick to the program even when eating non-NS food. Speaking of which, from what I have been told, the food is greatly improved over what it has been in the past.

    With regards to my family, I try to make them something similar to what I am eating. If they are having burgers, I made an NS patty. We share vegetables- for example we'd eat butternut squash fries instead of French fries. It helps that we want to set a good example for the baby so the meals that they eat are generally quite healthy as well so I can often "flex" a meal and share what they are eating.

    And on the days my husband wants something that is very unhealthy, I tell him he is welcome to it if he will make it himself. He is fine with that.

    Basically, you are still cooking one meal- your family's. If you don't want to cook with your NS food, you don't have to- just pop a tray in the microwave and eat. You can jazz up your food very quickly if you like to as well. I just find it easier to keep our meals similar and to share the salad and/or vegetables.

    Why don't you send me an email if you'd like to continue the discussion? This reply has gotten a little long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. I really need to look into something like this. You have some really great recipes on here, will definitely be back to check them out.

    I'm following your blog through the blog hop :)

    ~ Stacey ~

    Mom's Daily Insight PR
    Follow Us on Twitter
    "Like" Us on Facebook
    Follow Us on Networked Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipes look yummy...I am your newest follower.

    sherry

    http://splendiferousgirlsclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete