This is my journey to become a healthier me. It began on January 26, 2010 and stalled out... I got a type 2 diabetes diagnosis on March 30, 2022 and started to focus on my health again. On November 8, 2022 I added Ozempic to my toolbox to help me shed some pounds and inches!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Spice & Everything Nice

I've heard a few people mention that while Nutrisystem is great, they do miss the taste of a good home cooked meal. Well, there is nothing stopping you from occasionally incorporating some homemade meals into your program; just follow Nutrisystem's Flex Guide.

Here are a few great meals that I've tried and my family has really enjoyed.


Flex Meals (Dinner):



Pineapple Chicken:

12oz chicken breast, diced (or 4 Nutrisystem Grilled Chicken Breasts)
2 2/3 cups pineapple tidbits in juice
1/2 Spanish onion, diced
1 small green pepper, diced
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/3 cups brown rice, cooked
black pepper, paprika to taste

Put veggies in crock pot. Drain pineapple and reserve juice, putting tidbits in the pot. Add chicken to pot. Mix pineapple juice, mustard, soy sauce, garlic, pepper, and paprika, and pour over chicken. Stir well.

Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, thicken with cornstarch/water mixture just prior to serving. Serves four.

This counts as a dinner entree + fruit, so you still need to have your vegetables and fat serving. One portion has 293 calories, 47g of carbs, 2g of fat, and 23g of protein.


And here's the recipe that I shared earlier from the book Alpine Weight Loss- I tried it for myself and it was delicious! I modified it slightly to fit into the Nutrisystem plan. If you enjoy Indian food I definitely recommend giving it a try.


Flex Meals (Dinner):



Chicken with Butternut Squash in Ginger-Curry Sauce:

3oz chicken breast (or Nutrisystem Grilled Chicken Breast) cut into chunks
3/4 cup butternut squash, cubed
2 tablespoons Indian curry
1 medium piece fresh ginger root
1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup basmati rice, cooked

Sauté chicken in olive oil in a pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the squash, curry, and ginger, and cover. Cook for another 2 minutes, and then add 2 cups of water to the pan. Cook for another 3 minutes, and then lower the flame and let simmer until the squash gets soft and the water turns into its own ginger curry sauce. This takes quite a while so keep checking on it and stirring! Serve over the rice and enjoy!

I was thinking next time of adding some plain Greek yogurt to the curry and seeing how that turned out. It was not super spicy so if you want it hotter, make sure you add more curry powder to the entree. As the recipe is posted, it counts as a dinner entree + 2 veggie servings with 314 calories, 40g of carbs, 8g of fat, and 24g of protein.

Alpine Weight Loss has lots of great recipes like this one for you to try, so don't forget to enter the giveaway for a free copy of the book! The giveaway closes tomorrow at 10pm EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment